electronchaser

lack of power from stop so annoying

So I have an i3 2019 and a 2018 330e. Been driving the i3 on longer treks, using the 330e mostly for city runs, visiting family etc.
So I've gotten very used to the incredible amount of passing power in the i3. I also have noticed that its power is very retarded when starting from a stopped position.
What doesn't make sense is the 330e has a weaker 84hp 190ish torque, electric motor, but when I put it in max edrive and mash the pedal it just jumps off the line with unreal urgency. this only lasts until about 25mph, and then its much more gradual. but it is explosive, whereas in the i3 it is very much subdued, and incredibly bothersome.

I was never able to punch this car from a standstill during numerous test drives due to traffic conditions, and was only able to really squeeze it while in motion. I think had I experienced this retardation in initial power, it would have been a deal breaker for me. I think BMW did a real disservice to drivers and the overall public in giving the perception of an EV taking off from the line like a Sentra.

Having driven a model 3, and the 330e for over a year (put 16k miles on her, 11.5k of them pure EV) ,
even test driving a Leaf with the bigger pack and motor, which had horrible torque steer.

I assumed, all EVs have that initial burst. I'm a sucker for that.
BMW got so much right....this item...they really messed up.

The fact that I'm out here putting bad press regarding this issue, shame, I'd much rather be singing praise and just off the walls happy after getting the 'ultimate driving machine' .

I hope BMW scouts read this,: bring back the power, I'll prepay you guys for all the mounts I'll end up breaking, but please let me and others enjoy the car for the 3 years I signed up for. Really. (At least up it just a tad, and get rid of that dead spot. ) Thx :)
Am I trashing it?, absolutely, but with love, like every other BMW I've owned.
Rondel stands for something, and I fully utilize all the non neutered abilities its got.
Takeaway. This is an amazing piece of engineering. And I'm not impressed with 'stuff'
MKH

Re: lack of power from stop so annoying

No lag at all off the line with my 2015 REx. Takes off like a rocket.
Deutsch100

My 2019 i3S Rex also takes off like a rocket from stand still. I mean, it actually presses you back into the seat :) It is "almost" Tesla like :)
2020 i3S Rex; Capparis White
jadnashuanh

WHat mode are you running your car in? That can make a difference in how power is applied.

If you can look at the traction indicator, does it appear to be flashing when you're trying to accelerate at a high rate? If so, the computer is restricting power because it seems to be sensing tire slip. If that isn't actually happening, the sensor(s) might be defective.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)
electronchaser

jadnashuanh wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:46 pm WHat mode are you running your car in? That can make a difference in how power is applied.

If you can look at the traction indicator, does it appear to be flashing when you're trying to accelerate at a high rate? If so, the computer is restricting power because it seems to be sensing tire slip. If that isn't actually happening, the sensor(s) might be defective.
just plain old comfort mode. The 330e snaps my head back from 0-25, very tesla like surge of instant pulling power. the i3 not at all. I'll try to get a few friends/fam to help shoot a video of both cars taking off side by side.
* I'm very fair minded, I wouldn't 'amp' up my disappointment if it wasn't so apparent in the fun factor dept.
for example, I do love the 25-50mph power surge the i3 has. Always puts a smile inside and outside :)

Never had the traction nanny flash me other than during a turn there was a bump that upset the car's balance. In fact, given the anemic take off power, it would be the last indicator I'd ever imagine seeing. Seriously.
Rondel stands for something, and I fully utilize all the non neutered abilities its got.
Takeaway. This is an amazing piece of engineering. And I'm not impressed with 'stuff'
MKH

Here is a video of an i3 beating an M3 off the line - the M3 doesn't gain on the i3 until they hit 60.

https://insideevs.com/news/319271/video ... to-60-mph/

And one of an i3 beating a Golf Polo GTI Turbo off the line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyk8p4fh6mw

,,, and against a Mini Cooper S - beats it off the line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml3mDa23Hgk
Last edited by MKH on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fisher99

Yeah, something isn't right there. In Comfort mode my 2014 i3/Rex is VERY quick off the line. I'd like to put it up against my wife's 535i xDrive sometime, but she's not a racer so haven't been able to talk her into it yet. The 535 is quick but I think the i3 would take it until at least 30-40 mph.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE
electronchaser

MKH wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 am Here is a video of an i3 beating an M3 off the line - the M3 doesn't gain on the i3 until they hit 60.

https://insideevs.com/news/319271/video ... to-60-mph/

And one of an i3 beating a Golf Polo GTI Turbo off the line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyk8p4fh6mw

,,, and against a Mini Cooper S - beats it off the line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml3mDa23Hgk
These videos are exactly what I fell for as well. But if you pay attention to the date of these videos (except the i3s video) , they're all 5 year+ old videos.
The bmw sales reps gave me the same line about it being the quickest BMW off the line, even vs the M cars etc. If the claim was even half true, I'd probably be one of the happiest i3 owners to date.

This is exactly where I think BMW did the disservice to drivers, because my 120ah BEV doesn't even come close to launching like those in the video do. I think they definitely detuned or retuned the power curve.

(This part is HUGE) Again going back to an apples vs apples comparison, my 330e weights 4000lbs, driving it in electric only mode, it should be murdered by the lighter, and more powerful i3 electric drivetrain. But the total opposite is true. (this is only true from a standstill until about 30 mph max).
Fisher99 wrote: Yeah, something isn't right there. In Comfort mode my 2014 i3/Rex is VERY quick off the line. I'd like to put it up against my wife's 535i xDrive sometime, but she's not a racer so haven't been able to talk her into it yet. The 535 is quick but I think the i3 would take it until at least 30-40 mph.
I really really wish I could say the same. From my 6 weeks with the car, I have tried numerous red light drag races with random cars and drivers, most recent embarrassment was getting left in the dust by a friends newer nissan altima. He was already a car a half ahead of me before I felt the i3 move into the power band area, and the g forces started pressing me back. I wouldn't even waste the electrons trying to launch against an AWD 535i in my i3. :)

It's a pleasant day with ideal weather, let me see if I can get that video done and uploaded....

Thanks for the input and personal driver feedback. I've only recently transitioned from BMWs performance and M branded cars to the more green and eco models. The 330e impressed me big time, it had the nearly the same launch performance with its tiny little electric motor as my much more powerful 340i did.
electronchaser

MKH wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 am Here is a video of an i3 beating an M3 off the line - the M3 doesn't gain on the i3 until they hit 60.
Funny, I'm going to soon drive the i3 bev to Dallas from L.A., just waiting for a few more electrify america stations to go live so I'll be able to map everything out more efficiently, time wise. (at present I'm at approx 31hrs TT with 8 hours total charging 23 hrs driving.) With a few more stations, I'll be able to drive faster, and spend more time charging (mostly a wash eta wise).

I did test drive an i3s rex, but I had 500lbs of humans in the car plus me. So that plus the weight of REx setup really didn't give a proper test drive either. I was willing to get a i3S bev just for the wheel /tire upgrade, well worth it to me, but none existed spec'd the way I wanted, and i missed order cutoff by a few weeks.

Plus sales guy literally said, you'll only feel the difference in the top end say from 60-90. And I do less of those, and way more 0-45 pulls.

I've been trying for weeks to get over it, enjoy other aspects, but nowadays, with a certain project I'm working at, I do so much stop and go driving daily, and its so irritating every single time to be let down when you know that the power is there (I mean I'm certain the i3 can accelerate with the same punch and surge of power from 0 mph, as it does when you mash the throttle at 25-40mph). But, its not.

I'm so close to loving this car, sounds weird, even to me. So close. This weekend I've thrown this car around turns that it shouldn't be able to handle, but it does, with grace. most definitely have pushed it to limits, and beyond, its amazing how good it is. On good asphalt, hot day, 33psi fronts, 36psi rears, on factory 19 all seasons, everyone I've taken on the twistys with me has been really impressed. It doesn't scare you on the turns, which to me is classic bmw.

Just that initial burst. Its too underwhelming (again relative to what an animal the i3 can be at 30mph if you squeeze the accel pedal).

Can the motor control module be reprog, /flashed/hacked in any manner ? Where would one begin?
bwilson4web

These curves came from GPS recorded data on our 2014 BMW i3-REx:
  • GPS samples every second so low end accuracy is limited.
  • Can re-run tests with high resolution accelerometer data IF someone else has any.
There are multiple smartphone apps that can record GPS and acceleration data. Use yours and share the data here.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”