Alarm all of sudden starting to go off...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timjohn

OK just during the last hour, my i3S alarm has started going off for apparently no reason. I am parked in the back of my house with no traffic vibrations. I can turn it off with the FOB. I just unlocked the doors and I know the alarm is deactivated.

Also it started to happen after I washed the car. Not with a high pressure washer either. So just trying to understand why this would all of sudden start happening.

It is a 2020 i3s REX with about 1300kms on it. Virtually brand new. Thanks

Timothy

First thing I'd check is if the car thinks a door or hood is open and not properly latched. This is especially easy to happen with the rear doors. There's a latch at both the top and the bottom of the door. This is needed to ensure the seatbelt is well anchored. It's easy to not get both of them fully latched.

The rear hatch and the hood's sensor may be slightly misadjusted and intermittent. Is it windy out there now? If a sensor is maladjusted, movement could intermittently cause it to think someone is trying to get in.

There could be a loose connection.

IOW, there could be a bunch of reasons why it might trigger.

You might try turning off the interior motion sensor.

Thanks for those suggestions. They make sense to me because I did open the frunk and after checking it for measurements afterwards I did notice there is some kind of switch by the latch. After opening and closing all the doors, including the frunk, it appears to have stopped. I did fiddle with the switch from the frunk and no spontaneous alarms so far. I hate all these switches and electronic safe guards.

I was wondering if there is an alert in the front display if the frunk is ajar. This would be helpful. I think its OK now.

The i3 will alert you when you turn it on (not before!) if it detects any door or panel that isn't fully closed.

It's fairly easy with the i3's remote to accidentally press one of the switches depending on where you have it and what else may be in your pocket. Tight pants make it worse, if that applies! Somewhat depends on how close you are to the vehicle whether that's an issue or not.

Back