Okay, so update regards this fix.
I ordered the part back on Jan 10 from Hubauer Shop which are based in Germany. You can cross reference the part made by Küster with your VIN to avoid ordering the wrong thing. The original part went missing, even although it was delivered somewhere according to their tracking app. I emailed their office in Germany and they sent out a replacement part which arrived this week.
So heavy overnight frost here in Scotland and temperatures below zero, but at least sun was out. Waited until 11.00am and had a coffee, as this was going to be a driveway repair. The garage has a boat in it, but that's another story!
High voltage disconnected at frunk. I didn't disconnect main HV cables in boot, but according to BMW documentation that would be an extra safeguard.
Wheel arch liner off, yes there are multiple M8 hex self tappers and a couple of M10 plastic nuts.
I'd ordered trim tools, which are useful.
3pete wrote: ↑Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:23 pm
The only complicated part is removing the cover around 4:00 mark. It's tricky because you're working blind to release the latches. The only other thing is having the pentalobe security bit/driver to take the solenoid off (assuming that's the same in US/ EUR).
Absolutely, I ended up using a head torch to see under wheel arch and release clips that way. The rest was straight forward, but I still managed to break a plastic clip. I'm sure even BMW would do this, these really are fit and forget parts during construction and I'm sure the plastic gets brittle once disturbed.
I managed to get around the pentalobe screws using an angle grinder to achieve a better head on a flathead screwdriver. If you add a little grease then the self tappers will go back in a lot easier.
I fitted the new part, and reinstalled everything, but the error reoccurred. I hate to admit defeat, it's now 2.00pm and around a couple of hours of daylight left, so not to be put off I stripped the whole lot back out. The difference this time, on the solenoid that's held in with the two pentelobe self tappers, I removed it. There's a green rubber gasket with two holes that engages with the charger to seat properly. Now I'm sure this was aligned before, but to test pull the blue emergency release nylon to test. This time the locking solenoid engaged and disengaged and I could see it working manually.
Picture of the solenoid here: https://ibb.co/YDc3PY0
Reinstalled everything and thankfully I've fixed it. In better weather this is a straight forward fix. You ideally want to be in a workshop out of the cold with plenty light though as it is fiddly.
Anyway, thanks for the guidance.
2015 i3 REx, 60ah, solar orange. Reversing camera, leather interior, sunroof, park assist, professional navigation.