Front Tow Hitch Mounted License Plate

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arm

Hey folks,

Any suggestions on where to a high quality tow hitch license plate kit? My car has a clean, no holes front bumper and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Eventually the tow-hook mounted license plate flexes/bends and scuff and scratch up the bumper anyway. Friend with one had the license plate pushed in so it made a nice gouge line in the bumper. I thought about it, then looking at his damage, just got the BMW i3 specific licence plate mount. Yes, you have to drill into the bumper, but you are never going to see it - will be behind the license plate forever. The i3 specific frame is nice, contoured to the bumper. The bumper has two small indentations where that frame mounts, and the frame has two small prongs on the back that match up with the indentations, these are used to exactly line up the frame in place. Drill two small holes and use 1&1/2"stainless steel sheet metal screws to screw into the bumper. then attache the licence plate to the frame with short nuts & bolts [ attachment=0]Lic2.png[/attachment]

Attachments

• Lic2.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 3,170
I never installed my front license plate, it is staying in the frunk. The police doesn't bother me. I'm not alone, probably a good third of Tesla M3s in my state drive without the front plate.

Reviving this old post...

I got a tow hitch mount for our i3. My plan is to just keep it in the frunk in case somebody flags us and we have to show it / install it very quickly.

The problem is... I am unable to open the hitch mount tab in the bumper. Anybody has done it?

I have googled and googled, but I only see videos of people opening that tab on other BMWs. The system should be the same, and from the videos it looks easy. But I have pushed with all my might on that little arrow, and the thing will not budge. I am afraid I am going to break something if I keep trying.

Back