Used i3 buyer's guide

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3daytonoh

Very basic info and advice for someone considering a used i3 (from BMWBLOG). Incorrectly states the REX model dropped in 2019 (which was only in Europe).

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/12/03/used-buyers-guide-bmw-i3/

There's a lot wrong and incomplete with that write-up, some maybe particular to the US market.

2017 model year saw the introduction of the 33 kWh battery.
2018 brought the Sport as well as the face lift with, among other things, greatly improved headlights.
2019 was the 42 kWh battery.

I know the options packages vary by region, but they're confusing to new buyers and in the US:
- heat pump was standard on BEV models until 2019, then an option
- HK sound, sunroof were standalone options
- Tech package included bigger screen, parking suite
- no mention of the different interior options nor wheel options

The 40 mile commute guidance is rubbish, as is the 1 kid limit (without addressing the actual "issue" with back seat access and space.

I wholeheartedly disagree (and I'm sure most i3 owners are with me) that the interior is, in fact, ahead of its time. Granted there's no Android Auto, Apple Carplay took far too long to appear, but iDrive 5 is reasonably capable and iDrive 6 even though it's a generation old is the most useable in-car interface I've had the pleasure of using.

The biggest thing missing is a note about the dramatic change in selecting a 2017+ i3 vs. a 2016 & earlier. I think there's a clear line there in terms of the i3's reliability and usability.

Honestly, if I came across this article when I was first shopping for an EV, I'd have been turned off to the i3.

eNate said:
I wholeheartedly disagree (and I'm sure most i3 owners are with me) that the interior is, in fact, ahead of its time. Granted there's no Android Auto, Apple Carplay took far too long to appear, but iDrive 5 is reasonably capable and iDrive 6 even though it's a generation old is the most useable in-car interface I've had the pleasure of using.

Agree. I can’t imagine what that writer meant by subpar cabin tech. Then again BMW Blog tends to push the latest and greatest over all else since I’m guessing they reply on BMW NA’s largesse for trips to car introductions, etc. I bought a third i3 in large part because of the cabin design and tech. I prefer tactile buttons and knobs over so-called advancements such as touchscreen interfaces. What I’ve seen of the i4/iX and any Tesla just doesn’t impress.

Back