Coding Anti-Dazzle and Variable Light Distribution

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailnavy

I've seen some videos and posts for other vehicles that enable Anti-Dazzle headlights and the VLD function. Has anyone successfully done this on an i3? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

I don't think its possible on the i3 because we don't have left-right steerable lights, they only auto-level.

Can you post links to the videos you've seen?

In North America, I'm fairly sure enabling the LED Matrix headlights in the i3 requires coding, and it only works on later model year cars with automatic high beams.

See Bjørn's video, at around the 7:40 mark, for the i3's VLD in action https://youtu.be/5DPdPgU9Myc?t=450. Seems ... meh. He's driving a 2019 i3 Sport.

Yep, 2019+ models shipped with new headlight LEDs. According to BMW:

As an alternative to the standard LED headlights, adaptive LED headlights are now available with an automatic, selective dip function for the high beam. The innovative matrix technology for the high beam increases visibility range while at the same avoiding any dazzle effect on other road users. For this purpose it is divided into four horizontally arranged segments which can be activated and deactivated independently of each other at speeds of over 70 km/h. The high beam segments are controlled based on the traffic situation. As soon as the front camera registers an oncoming vehicle or a vehicle travelling ahead in the same direction, the space in which this vehicle is located is illuminated using the low beam only. This is effected by deactivation of the matrix high beam segments that are responsible for this area. The remaining areas of the road continue to be illuminated by the high beam. Adaptive LED headlight functions also include the cornering light and the high beam assistant.

—www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0284828EN/with-new-high-voltage-batteries-for-an-even-further-extended-range-and-retaining-characteristic-bmw-sporty-flair:-the-bmw-i3-120-ah-and-the-bmw-i3s-120-ah

Sounds compelling on paper, but is it in practice? I watched Bjørn's video again (link in post above), and at around 7:38, it appears that the new technology interprets the high-beam reflection from the diamond-shaped road sign as the headlight of an oncoming car, and the system deactivates the upper-right matrix segment. It's an illuminating false-positive.

websterize said:
In North America, I'm fairly sure enabling the LED Matrix headlights in the i3 requires coding, and it only works on later model year cars with automatic high beams.

See Bjørn's video, at around the 7:40 mark, for the i3's VLD in action https://youtu.be/5DPdPgU9Myc?t=450. Seems ... meh. He's driving a 2019 i3 Sport.

Huh I had no idea the LCI headlights could do that... now I want to try coding it on my 2019 i3s! Anyone know the coding?

frictioncircle said:
After watching websterize's video, I think it demonstrates the i3's Auto High-Beam Assist. That is not the same as a VLD / anti-dazzle system ...[/url]

It's Bjørn Nyland's video, not mine :)

He demonstrates the i3's High-Beam Assist and its LED Matrix functionality, noted in the press release above. I have yet to see this matrix effect with my own eyes in an i3, but I'd imagine the effect is more apparent in conscious Technicolor, rather than a YouTube video, even with the minimal four segments. Other BMW models have more lighting segments, hence more discrete anti-dazzle control.

Apparently, configuring the LED matrix headlights in North America requires a 2019 i3 or later and tedious, FDL coding — unlikely to end well via a smartphone.

frictioncircle said:
websterize –

Do you have a link to share that describes matrix headlamps on 2019+ production i3 models?
Sure. There's a reference link in post 4 of this topic that describes the new matrix headlight. It's from BMW's PressClub. See the "New body finishes, adaptive LED headlights, optimised controls and connectivity" section.

Hello websterize –

Sure. There's a reference link in post 4 of this topic that describes the new matrix headlight. It's from BMW's PressClub. See the "New body finishes, adaptive LED headlights, optimised controls and connectivity" section.

The press.bmwgroup.com link from post #4 resolves to https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global.

BMW AG probably put out so many press releases that the matrix headlamp one you refer too got lost in the shuffle. If you can find the appropriate press release please send it along!

Try copying the link below? (This site appears to truncate full URLs)

www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0284828EN/with-new-high-voltage-batteries-for-an-even-further-extended-range-and-retaining-characteristic-bmw-sporty-flair:-the-bmw-i3-120-ah-and-the-bmw-i3s-120-ah

haha, it did it again.

Here's the URL without "www." in front :D

press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0284828EN/with-new-high-voltage-batteries-for-an-even-further-extended-range-and-retaining-characteristic-bmw-sporty-flair:-the-bmw-i3-120-ah-and-the-bmw-i3s-120-ah

Hopefully, you can see the release!

websterize said:
Try copying the link below? (This site appears to truncate full URLs)
There's no truncation for me using Safari when I click on the link under the current version of macOS or touch the link under the current version of iOS. No need to copy and paste the link.

For future readers, my fingers are crossed that this is the article that websterize is linking to:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...air:-the-bmw-i3-120-ah-and-the-bmw-i3s-120-ah

What a very interesting read! In that September 2018 press release it is explicitly stated that the high beams have matrix anti-dazzle capability!

If anyone has experience in coding i3 anti-dazzle high beams, please share details if you can.

sailnavy said:
Did anyone figure this out yet?

I'd try to help with my 2018, if it had the LED Matrix lamps, but it's only the 2019 and 2020 i3s with HBA. If you have one, looks like you're the guinea pig. :D

Turns out activating the matrix functionality of the LED headlightsis possible with simple VO Coding! See post 13 in this bimmerpost topic (about activating them in a North American X7s). https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817625.

The coding should apply to the i3 as well.

I poked around in bimmercode but couldn't find anything related to anti-dazzle or matrix, even in expert mode (tho alot of the terminology is german so it can be cryptic).

The good news is that after years of unsuccessful attempts to allow the technology, A.D.B. [adaptive driving beam] lights will soon be on American cars and trucks, thanks to a section in the recently passed Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act that mandates their use.

According to the infrastructure act, adaptive beam headlights must be approved for U.S. use within two years. And they will be allowed to meet the standard developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers, which is very similar to the systems already in use in Europe.
The changeover to A.D.B.-capable headlamps could be swift for some drivers who own Audi, BMW or Mercedes models with deactivated units. Once the A.D.B. standard is approved, it’s possible that a simple software upgrade will activate them. — www.nytimes.com/2022/01/13/business/adb-smart-headlights-us.html
Promising news for us North Americans.

websterize said:
The good news is that after years of unsuccessful attempts to allow the technology, A.D.B. [adaptive driving beam] lights will soon be on American cars and trucks, thanks to a section in the recently passed Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act that mandates their use.

According to the infrastructure act, adaptive beam headlights must be approved for U.S. use within two years. And they will be allowed to meet the standard developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers, which is very similar to the systems already in use in Europe.
The changeover to A.D.B.-capable headlamps could be swift for some drivers who own Audi, BMW or Mercedes models with deactivated units. Once the A.D.B. standard is approved, it’s possible that a simple software upgrade will activate them. — www.nytimes.com/2022/01/13/business/adb-smart-headlights-us.html
Promising news for us North Americans.

You just know the OEMs or dealers will charge money to have ADB activated... or they won't know anything about it.

I'm hoping that maybe someone will figure this out, but the sales quantity of 2019+ in the US seems pretty low.

Back