i3 Hate

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arm

Not a usual topic but having recently purchased a Tesla M3, I decided to join the Tesla forums and man....I've never come across such narcissistic, arrogant people in my life. The fanboy-ism is alive and well there I can assure you. The irony of them calling me a BMW fanboy given I own both cars now is astounding.

It's sad to see such hate in the EV world when valid points about vehicles are made regarding quality, service, etc. They will shut you down before they aspect any form of reality. I knew Tesla owners were, in general, pretty douchey but not to the extent I experienced.

I have three friends that are Tesla owners and they're completely level-headed about their cars' shortcomings. Granted, two of them have been driving electrics since the original Mini E back in 2009 and since then have driven and owned hydrogen fuel-cell cars and multiple i3s so they're particularly clear-eyed in regards to the EV space.

That said, it's sad to hear your virtual experience with Tesla Owners pretty much matches the reputations that precede them!

I wonder why they're so tribally defensive?

frictioncircle said:
I have three friends that are Tesla owners and they're completely level-headed about their cars' shortcomings. Granted, two of them have been driving electrics since the original Mini E back in 2009 and since then have driven and owned hydrogen fuel-cell cars and multiple i3s so they're particularly clear-eyed in regards to the EV space.

That said, it's sad to hear your virtual experience with Tesla Owners pretty much matches the reputations that precede them!

I wonder why they're so tribally defensive?

I think what you'll find is the owners (like ourselves or your friends) who've had EVs before and know a thing or two about other manufacturers don't behave the way I'm experiencing. It's these "millennials" or new breed who are this way. They are the same crowd who will stand outside an Apple store for hours or overnight to welcome with open arms to get ripped off and end up with a sub-standard product.

There is absolutely no doubt that the quality and service I experienced from Tesla thus far isn't even in the same league as I have received from BMW. From the pickup process to reaching out to the service department...they don't want to have ANY personal contact at all. That much I can say.

And for some reason, the Tesla owners get extremely defensive about it. It's almost cult-like in nature...their behavior that is. No matter what criticism one has of the car, the service, etc....Tesla can do no wrong and the levels of acceptance for poor quality, crap service, etc...is something to behold

Arm said:
And for some reason, the Tesla owners get extremely defensive about it. It's almost cult-like in nature...their behavior that is. No matter what criticism one has of the car, the service, etc....Tesla can do no wrong and the levels of acceptance for poor quality, crap service, etc...is something to behold

I suppose if you've bought into Tesla, just like any other brand, then you're prepared to defend it, even when deep down you know the short-comings. It's not just Tesla I'm sure. There are forums that simply don't welcome criticism. It is what it is. ;)

Tesla fans are certainly a detractor to the brand at this point, IMO. But it's also worth remembering that the loudest Tesla owners are probably the smallest segment of the group. Most people buy a product, use that product and don't visit forums or post on the internet about that product. Consequently you're seeing a bit of survivorship-bias in a way; the people you're being exposed to are pre-selected to be the ones who have strong opinions about Tesla.

That doesn't mean "most" tesla owners are the same way though. The next time you happen upon a tesla owner by non-car related chances (random dinner party, etc.) they're probably way less likely to be an i3 hater than people on Tesla forums (and probably the internet as a whole).

Tesla fanboys can be quite rabid, especially if all their savings are in TSLA. I experience the opposite. I moderate a Chrysler Pacifica forum, and Chrysler haters are quite common. They own this van only because of its unique features.

I moderate a Chrysler Pacifica forum, and Chrysler haters are quite common. They own this van only because of its unique features.

gt1 –

You are a brave person and I love your candor!

It's so easy to hate on Chrysler because their product has been stymied by 20+ years of re-orgs (thanks DaimlerChrysler, Fiat Chrysler, and Stellantis).

I hope Chrysler survives as a viable alternative to Ford & GM.

Just adding on to my prior post, the Chrysler Corporation has made some excellent vehicles and some dreadful ones – the Dodge Caliber is, in particular, one of the worst vehicles I've ever driven.

See, the Chrysler haters are even here!
Chrysler is certainly not the most reliable brand, but I have to tell you, Pacifica is very nice (when it runs :D ) It is the only PHEV minivan on the market. With its interior space, features, ride quality and fuel economy it is a perfect complement for i3.
One interesting fact- it has a surprising number of European components- every time I'm looking for something I see names like Bosch, Continental, Magneti-Marelli.

Back