Regen braking question on newer models (2017+) and quidzel?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudog3114

I had a 2016 that I loved and hated the regen braking on. Obviously I loved one-pedal driving, but it kicked off during turns and when hitting potholes. Did they change that behavior on newer models or does it do the same thing? I sold my 2016 at the beginning of the pandemic as I wasn't commuting any more but now I am thinking about getting another.

Also, can I code a newer one with a quidzel for TJA or will it just have TJA if it has the adaptive cruise?

Regarding the traction control, the system was upgraded for the 2018 model year. It's quicker to react and no longer has those issues.

TJA needs to be coded on any US model, it was never offered as an option.

I concur w/ SuperPoly re: the difference in traction control. Beginning w/ the 2018 refresh the new system is 50x more responsive, and having switched from a 2017 to a 2021 (both non-S BEVs), the difference is unmistakable. High-G cloverleaf ramps were always a surprise waiting in the wings with the old system!

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0277603EN

"Key factors here are not only the increased output of the motor in the new BMW i3s, but also the innovative traction control system adapted specifically to the instantaneous power deliver of the BMW eDrive system. Presented for the first time in the new BMW i3s, the system improves traction and driving stability in adverse weather and road conditions when pulling away, in active Brake Energy Regeneration phases and when accelerating out of tight corners. At the heart of this innovation is the control system’s 50-times-faster routine, made possible because – unlike conventional driving stability systems – the control process is now calculated directly in the powertrain instead of in a remote unit requiring long signal paths. This development provides further evidence of BMW i as a pioneer of innovative technology within the BMW Group."

I have Quidzel on 2018. The one pedal driving still works, and is even better than before, as explained by eNate.

I recently went from a 2014 BEV to a 2021 BEV s and yes, that traction-control stumble is definitely gone.

One thing that I miss from my 2014 is that its regen was stronger. A friend went from a 2014 REx to a 2019 REx and he noticed the same thing. You can still one-pedal drive but you have to lift earlier.

A by-product of the weaker regen: I use the friction brakes much more in the 2022... I can even see it in the amount of brake dust on the wheels! :(

BLINGMW said:
what's quidzel?!

https://quidzel.com/

A hardware hack to activate Traffic Jam Assist – very low level "self driving" or more like "self following."

Back