Battery in 2015 rex down to 12.1kw

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmc6566

Hey was just looking for suggestions. My 2015 has been good to me for years. In the last month the range has dropped pretty drastically. I had been getting 65 miles of range in eco mode. But recently it dropped down to about 50 miles. And fully charged it showed 12.1kw. I now have 95k miles on it. This seems like a pretty big reduction even after 85k miles. As most people do I hate going to dealer. But would you suggest I take it and have them do a diagnostic on the battery? Thanks.

kmc6566 said:
Hey was just looking for suggestions. My 2015 has been good to me for years. In the last month the range has dropped pretty drastically. I had been getting 65 miles of range in eco mode. But recently it dropped down to about 50 miles. And fully charged it showed 12.1kw. I now have 95k miles on it. This seems like a pretty big reduction even after 85k miles. As most people do I hate going to dealer. But would you suggest I take it and have them do a diagnostic on the battery? Thanks.

Yes, I would. Especially since you're closing in on the 100k mile threshold on the HV battery warranty, assuming you're in the US. You may be gambling approx. $500, but that is peanuts compared to a replacement battery pack (possibly up to $40k!?!?! https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17643)

If your Batt Kapa Max and range is consistently that low, I think you have a good case for BMW to do *something* to address it. When you ask them to test it, they might magically find more capacity, but as it is, it sounds like youre battery is below the 70% threshold.

If you have access to an OBDII adapter and an app like Electrified (android) or mi3 (iOS), the SOH% value there could help with your decision, though it seems to always agree with consistent Batt Kapa Max values in my experience.

I took my car in last year and gained a few kWh out of the deal (full saga here: https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17409).

If you do take it in, I would be sure to phrase it that you are asking about a warranty issue (again, assuming you're in the US) . Because most of the car is out of warranty at this point some dealers seem to be unaware of the 8 year HV battery capacity warranty.

Good luck whatever you choose, and please do report back if you take it in!

Thanks. Yes I am in the u.s. I am playing phone tag with dealer right now negotiating what they are going to charge me for the diagnostic. I will definitely bring up warranty on battery. I will post the outcome good or bad in the hopes that it will help future owners with battery degradation issues.

Back