REX Aux Fan damaged in accident

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullseye805

I had a small rear end hit that resulted in minor damage... but of course, a shattered liftgate. After the accident, I got a Drivetrain error. "Only electric drive possible..." I pulled the code '21E950' - "Additional Fan in engine compartment, relay, control: open circuit".
I removed the rear valance and found that the auxiliary fan that exhausts heat from exhaust/muffler area was broken by the impact. A new fan has been ordered... I also checked the fuse for that fan; #121 under glove box and it was broken. I replaced the fuse. I want to have all the parts needed lined-up to repair, my question is: is there a relay or anything else in that circuit/system that I should inspect/replace? and if so, where is it located?

I'm just trying to get all the necessary parts lined up for a one-time repair.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

There's no way to know definitively unless you scan the car. Any additional errors would be flagged up.

Thanks for the reply. I have done a complete scan. There are a few codes, but most are un-related to the incident. Only two codes would have triggered the warning message, both of those codes were related to the fan,,, one code for the fan itself and the other for the temperature sensor mounted to the fan. The fuse has been replaced and a new fan is on order. I don't have access to a wiring diagram, so I am inquiring to ask if there are any other components in this circuit that I should also look for and test, like a relay hidden somewhere in the car.

Again, I am hoping I have all components to repair the car... I am trying to avoid having to wait 2 weeks for parts, test the repair and find that I missed another part and have to order and wait for 2 more weeks.

Thanks.

Just a little closure in case anyone comes looking for information in the future.

The REX Aux cooling fan sits very close to the left rear bumper and can easily be damaged in an impact. I received the replacement fan and swapped it out. Problem resolved. That simple. There is a little temp sensor that mount into the fan shroud... just make sure to transfer that over to the new fan.

Is the vehicle getting repaired and covered by insurance? If so let the shop diagnose and repair all that when they fix the liftgate.

Agreed. I was just trying to get the REX back online fast... body shop had to order parts from Germany. It was a long wait. Damage was otherwise limited to bodyshop type work... I also wanted the peace of mind knowing that it was as simple as the fan and that there wasn't anything more 'involved' going on.

Back