Check Engine light after coding change

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorty6170

My 2017 i3 Rex has run perfectly for the last 2 years since purchase. Lowest battery level was 25%. Scooter motor has run some maintenence cycles flawlessly. I have a Bimmercode OBD plug and activated the "range extender " so as to "hold " the battery level and run scooter to bring the gas tank down. I am having to put the i3 thru a emmisions cycle and wanted fresh gasoline in the Tank .With in a few start cycles the Yellow check engine light illuminates. Car is still running perfictley.Checked the gas cap, no change. Then decided to De- activate "hold state of charge and light went out within next start cycle. Car still running perfectly. Anyone have ideas on why its doing this?

All I can say is that this is not a common occurrence. Did it happen after you put new gas in the car? It could have something to do with you refueling the car, like loose gas cap or overfilling the tank.

Car has never had scooter motor come on at 6% battery ......its always plugged in before that. It will run throughout an emissions cucle with no "engine light". Gas tank has been filled 2-3 times with premium. Fuel stablzer added twice...6 and 18 months ago.

There could be issues with the engine due to lack of use. I am pretty sure it not related to enabling the range extender option. If I were you I would run the engine several days in a row and see if the check engine light would go away. I have not heard anyone having a check engine light after enabling the range extender menu.

Back