SinkTip

Is REx worth it?

Hi There,

I'm in the process of looking for an i3 for my wife as her commuter vehicle and I have a couple of questions.

We recently moved to the Birmingham area of the UK from Canada and she has a commute of about 20 miles each way. Her work has several level 2 chargers set up (I think they are 6kW) so there should be no problem for her to get an opportunity charge while she's there. We can also install an L2 charge point at our home if needed.

I currently drive a 2017 Lexus CT200h, and she is replacing a 30kWh LEAF that had a pretty degraded pack (I was estimating about 21-22 kWh) based on charge times and the GOM.

For longer trips, my hybrid would be the one we would take.

We are looking at 2018 and up i3s for the larger pack and I am debating looking for one with the REx. We'd both rather be full EV, but range anxiety is real, (especially after owning a LEAF).

1) Is the REx worth it in this situation and, 2) are there any known reliability issues with the Rex that I can be aware of in order to avoid?

Thanks!
Grant
agzand

Re: Is REx worth it?

I remember in UK there were road tax implications for REX. Not sure if it will impact your situation.

The 94ah can do 100-130 miles. Based on your description I think a BEV could be a better choice. Why not spend the REX money on a 120ah BEV model?
SinkTip

I think the road taxes are in urban areas like London (ultra low emission zones). Not really too much of a concern because we are a couple of hours drive from there.

I wasn’t aware of a larger battery than the 33 kWh pack, so I guess I need to do more research. A 40 would totally meet the mission with room to spare, as would a strong 30. We are just a little gun shy from the LEAF.

Thanks for the input. I’d much rather not have an ICE at all these days.
eNate

The 2017+ 94 Ah packs appear to be far and away superior to the notorious Leaf batteries. I could reliably get 130 miles out of mine on a full charge, although I normally kept it below 80%. I was regularly driving a daily 40+ mile commute in that car and mainly L1 charged it at work for 8 hours at a time. The DCFC coverage in my region is sufficient that I never hesitated with longer drives (not really road trips) without doing much in the way of planning. On the occasions I did need to charge while out, I could generally count on a 30 minute no-fuss stop to get me back to 80%.

I went into i3 ownership with a predilection for BEV. I just wanted to be done with ICE. I understand some owners / prospective owners have a genuine need for the REX, but it seems to me many want it as a security blanket, and many report back here and on the other forums / Facebook that they rarely use theirs. And of course there are those who run into maintenance problems who regret having it.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack
SinkTip

Thanks, the first hand experience is really helpful. There are many DCFC here as well and we too just want to be done with ICE.
The BEV i3 used market seems a lot more robust here anyway.

Cheers,
Grant
agzand

Having REX definitely has its advantages, but if you have a hybrid car those are less important. If I had a hybrid as a second car, I would have bought a 130ah BEV.
SinkTip

Is there an easy way to differentiate between the 130Ah versions and the smaller battery pack?
I find it kind of odd that BMW used Ah as the capacity metric. kWh is a far more universal measurement.
By the way, what is the pack voltage? Haha
agzand

Sorry, I meant 120ah. There is no visual difference. I am not sure about UK, in the US 2018 model years are 94ah and 2019s are 120 ah. I am pretty sure in UK 2019 are 120ah, but I am not sure about the cutoff date in 2018 models. One way is to check the VIN using a BMW VIN decoder.
gt1

I replaced a 60AH REX with a 90AH BEV and never looked back. i3 isn't a good hybrid. The engine is annoyingly loud and buzzy, the fuel economy isn't great. If you look around this forum, you'll see that engine is one of the most problem prone components.
SinkTip

That’s exactly what I have been thinking. It seems like either get a BEV or not (or get a full hybrid or not). Toyota seems to have perfected the hybrid, but I am so over oil changes and assorted ICE maintenance.

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”