BMW i3 High Beams LED Upgrade

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleCarGuy

What do we think of upgrading the yellow high beams to white LEDs that match the main headlight? Just did mine and I think it looks great and only took 5 minutes. These should have the correct light pattern and produce a lot more light allowing you to see further. I know updating to LEDs is a sensitive topic, so I want hear what you have to say!

https://youtu.be/ctCrDJp6Fsk

To each their own, but I have never seen a retrofit LED "bulb" that plugs into a halogen reflector and outputs sufficient light.

I agree that the 1st gen i3s were a bit of a mess with their pink-shifting LED low beams and yellowish highs, but I haven't been convinced yet by these aftermarket solutions.

So how do the LED highs perform at night? They may "look" better but as eNate alluded to, most of these don't provide increased light output or rural road performance.

I just upgraded the whole car to get better lighting :lol: I can confirm that the LCI headlights with their combined bi-LED projectors are a massive upgrade to the 1st gen lights.

SSi3 said:
So how do the LED highs perform at night? They may "look" better but as eNate alluded to, most of these don't provide increased light output or rural road performance.

I just upgraded the whole car to get better lighting :lol: I can confirm that the LCI headlights with their combined bi-LED projectors are a massive upgrade to the 1st gen lights.

This was my concern as well as I've done an 'update' before and it was terrible. This time around, it actually looks really good and provides a lot of crisp, clear light. I would record a night comparison, but my camera work is not up to par as the main headlights blink like crazy on camera.

Back