Brake pad warning triggered, does not reset

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apj23

Hi,

I recently bought an used BMW i3 from 2019. Yesterday I took it to a workshop (not the official dealership) for a quick visual check of tyres + brakes, as I am planning a road trip for the summer.

The mechanic told me all was OK, and the brakes pads were far from having to be replaced. However, while driving home, a warning popped saying "Brake pads need replacing, drive slowly" or something similar. I guess the mechanic must have touched the sensor cable in his check of the brakes. That message now shows up every time I start/stop the car, and it is driving me nuts... I tried resetting it via the car menu (both with the handbrake enabled and disabled, as discussed in this other post https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17079), but nothing works.

I doubt that at the shop where I took it they know how to get rid of this, since they are a generic workshop, and I would like to avoid paying a fortune to have the official dealership fixing it. So far I have identified it is on the rear brakes (from the car status info), and it seems that only one wheel per axle includes a brake wear sensor, so I am pretty sure it is the rear right wheel.

Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

It could be as simple as the mechanic not reconnecting the pad sensor, or perhaps the wire was accidentally broken.

If it's the former, reconnecting will allow you to reset. If it's the latter (maybe because the wire was jiggled, bent or tugged), I'd guess a new sensor is in order.

But no matter what, if the sensor is providing an out of range reading, the light can't be reset.

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense.

I will try to push the sensor in a bit, and if that does not fix it, the cable is probably damaged... will have to remove the wheel and check.

If anyone else had a similar experience, I would like to hear! :)

You can buy the sensor cable separately. If replacing pads it’s worthwhile. You will probably need to dismantle the brakes the access the pad to add the cable. It connects to the loom on the leg strut.

Back