Home charger not working: red light is on.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertone

Hi,
My domestic (Kopp) charger does not want to start charging my i3.

I plug it in to the 220v socket, it does some internal tests but then goes from green to red light indicating some error has been detected.

The first light nearest to the mains cable and on the right side (status of the cable connection going to the 220v socket ?) is with green light, but the second light (status of the charger ?) is with a permanent red light.

Tried different sockets in the house...never had any problem when charging until now.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help.

Good news..just resolved it myself.

Plugged the charger in to the mains....got red error light on for the charger...pushed the "o" button and then the "i" button...suddenly the light went from red to green... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Problem solved...car now charging without any issue.

Seems the bl...dy charger went into some "silly mode" for some strange reason...anyhow, now solved.

Hope this helps someone in similar situation.
This is the first time in 3 years I came across this situation.

Thanks for posting the reply on how you fixed it!

Though I don't know what EVSE you were using, from how you describe the solution, "silly mode" sounds a lot like the way I've seen other devices describe a ground fault interruption mode that requires a reboot of the device to reset.

Sorry...I assumed all BMW i3 owners had the same domestic charger, the one coming as default with the car...but perhaps some cars come with other brands...

Anyway, my domestic charger is from Kopp.

See pic here:
https://ibb.co/4Vchg88

Back