A/C Button LED Flickering

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher99

The green LED light on the A/C button has started working only randomly (2014 i3/Rex). I understand this is a common problem on i3's but haven't found anyone who has done a repair of a single light, rather than having the whole panel replaced. Would be interested to hear from someone who has done this? Or if it is even possible? Are these individual LEDs in each button or are the LEDs part of a circuit board? I'm not brave enough to try popping the button off without knowing more about it.

I have the same issue, the A/C button LED started to flicker and now does not turn on at all. How should we fix this?

This question is being asked by a few people over on Reddit. It's apparently a known/common issue and so far the only answer seems to be to have BMW replace the whole panel at a cost of $1,200+. Some have said that it is possible to replace an individual LED but so far nobody has been able to point to any instructions as to how to do this. I'm a bit reluctant to try to pry off the button to take a look so I posted over here to see if anybody on this forum had any information.

I used realoem to locate the exact part number of the climate control panel, and ordered a used panel off eBay. It is evident that BMW knew the problem and discounted the bad part on 01/2015. I think most LED problems are found on the 2014.

Now the question is how to take the panel off - is it just with a trim removal tool and work around it? Is surprising that there are no online videos / instructions on how to do it. Any help is appreciated.

Techturbo said:
I used realoem to locate the exact part number of the climate control panel, and ordered a used panel off eBay. It is evident that BMW knew the problem and discounted the bad part on 01/2015. I think most LED problems are found on the 2014.

Now the question is how to take the panel off - is it just with a trim removal tool and work around it? Is surprising that there are no online videos / instructions on how to do it. Any help is appreciated.

I don't think it's held on by much... you can pry it off gently using one of those panel removal tools. I think it's held in place similar to the air vents but correct me if I'm wrong.

The only online reference I have found is a post in the FB Worldwide Group where someone removed it to replace the LEDs with different colors. There is no photo showing the steps of removal though, just a few showing it removed and they said you have to remove the 12v socket below first to get it out of the way.

It does appear to simply be clipped at the top and the bottom only but with several clips.

I got the replacement panel and yes there are 3 clips at the top. I still do not know how to remove the panel since there is no gap from the panel top to fit a trim removal tool... Any help is appreciated.

Lee from the BMW i3 USA Facebook group helped me with the instructions below.

Remove the 12v socket
The Climate control panel is held in place by 4 sprung loaded clips that run along its top edge, and by
the 12v accessory socket under the dash. To remove it we first have to remove the 12v accessory
socket, which itself is restricted by the lower dash kick panel.
1. Starting under the 12v accessory socket, carefully pull the top of the kick panel down as far
as possible without causing undue stress on it. Continue doing this along its whole length
from door to door until you have a 2-3cm gap. Be careful as it doesn’t flex much.
2. The 12v socket is mounted to its own little panel, which is held in place by two spring loaded
clips to its rear. Prise the little panel away in to the gap you created in step 1
3. With the little panel’s rear clips fully out, bring the front end (where the socket is) down as
far as possible until you can see the white power connector for the socket. Remove the
white plug from the 12 socket.
4. With the white plug removed, there should be enough space to now maneuverer the 12v
socket and its panel all the way out.
5. Unplug the connector going to its light, and put the socket aside

Removing the climate control Panel
1. With the 12 socket out, you can now pull the top of the climate control panel away from the
dash. Do this by grasping it firmly at the top edge and pulling towards you.
2. With the panel unclipped, you will find the right side will pull away further. Use the gap to
disconnect the two cables highlighted below.
3. With the cables unplugged you should be able to pull the panel out further just enough to
see a clip holding the wiring harness to the back of the panel. Pull the clip away from the
panel.
4. With the clip detached, swing the panel out even more until you see another clip point for
the wiring harness. This one you can just un hook the harness from it.
5. You should now be able to remove the panel.

Back