What are some common issues?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleCarGuy

Have you had any issues with your BMW i3? What were they? What are some common problems on BMW i3? Any specific to REx models?
Thanks!

I have had my 13S two years and some 12k miles come this Feb. So far no issues save an early failure of the 12 volt battery before it was even "old" so consider replacing the battery if it is more than 36 months old as it will completely incapacitate the car and require a flat bed if it fails. I have had no problems with my REX but have not actually used it as a generator; so far it has gone on only for bi monthly self check. Good luck.

Ditto with regard to the 12v battery. While I bought the car as a one year old CPO, it was around three years old when I was forced to replace the 12v battery. The car had started acting kooky, and then one day would not power up. The kooky disappeared and the car returned to normal op once the new battery was installed. I was blessed to have made the decision to proactively order a 12v replacement and have it precharged and ready to go. This site was very instrumental in helping make that decision.

One nuance is the radio as it does not have a “ turn off” button. Pressing the button “mutes” it. But that seems to act as an “off” button. As someone explained to me, mute is the new off. Not sure how they differ with regard to this car, but pressing it accomplishes the desired result of silencing musical sound emanating from the speakers.

Another nuance is the horn. Single note, and a noticeable slight delay when pressing the steering wheel button.

The Deka fabric appears to stain easily, even with water.

SimpleCarGuy said:
Have you had any issues with your BMW i3? What were they? What are some common problems on BMW i3? Any specific to REx models?
Thanks!

• Rattles from the glovebox area/air vent
  • Squeaking from the steering/top mounts
  • Front suspension boot covers disintegrating
  • 12v battery dying and leaving you stranded
  • Tires that don't last particularly long
  • Seat heaters failing
  • Charging port door getting stuck over time
  • A/C unit giving out (rare I hear)

I have a 2016 i3 and will be needing to use the REx quite a bit. Will I be doing any harm to the REx motor by using it so much?

Back