Hold State of Charge won't de-select....

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbt12

2017 i3 REx. Bimmercode used to enable a few things including HSOC.

Retired and traveling a bit. on a couple of longer drives (SF Airport to Auburn, CA; SF Airport to Reno), I successfully use HSOC to keep battery @ 70%. Curious....when I got close to a stop/higher-speed charger, I tried to switch off (deselect) HSOC. No go. When I stop/turn off car. No problem. Default of HSOC is OFF (even when battery is under 75%... 25% in one case % 47% in another.

Thoughts? Solutions?

I've read that the REx engine shutting down might not happen immediately upon turning off HSOC. Try driving for several minutes after turning off HSOC.

It could take a few minutes, the engine needs to cool down after extended use. The fan could run for even longer after you parked.

Thanx for the replies. Sorry for not being clearer. When I try to deselect the HSOC, I cannot. The check mark stays no matter how many times I push on the knob. I am not able to change the screen to show that HSOC is NOT selected.

Thoughts?

When I try to turn it off in my i3, it never instantly deselects. It took me a while to learn this and be patient and let the computer do its thing. It can take what seems like a few minutes. Just press to deselect once and wait to see if it eventually works. I wish it would instantly turn off the select check for immediate feedback but at least in my car that's not the case. Another little quirk of this vehicle.

Thanx for the suggestion.

I will exercise a bit of patience after selecting once (de-selecting HSOC) on my return trip from Sacramento. Will let this thread know what happens.

Ok... a few days ago, I traveled about to Vacaville (68 miles for me).

On the way up, I engaged HSOC at about 70% battery charge. After about 15 minutes of usage, I clicked once to deselect it. Took 2-3 minutes to finally deselect.

On the way home, I engaged HSOC at about 75% battery charge. After about 20 minutes, I clicked once to deselect it. Took about a 3 beat (3 seconds) to deselect.

Curious. Would love to know what's happening. Regardless I definitely feel more comfortable knowing about this "feature".

Still glad I bought it used in 2017 and look forward to holding on to it (60k miles now) until 2025-2026.

My guess is that the engine oil/coolant needs to be within some temperature range to shutoff. This engine is used sporadically, so it is important to shut it off when it is within optimum temperature range to avoid moisture buildup and additional stress.

Thanx for (possible) explanation of why the seemingly randomness of the turn-off of HSOC.

Since my last post, I tried HSOC 3 more times. Actual shut off (deselection of the checkbox) took different mount of time to finally show the deselection of HSOC.

A little quirk but HSOC works and enables me more options when taking long drives. While public higher speed charger is cheaper than gas, the trade off is the time. Nice to have a choice.

Back