Spark Plug Replacement...Screwed Up, now unsure what's wrong

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cescarsega

Hi guys,
So my 2015 I3 had the typical drivetrain error and misfire codes that a lot of BMW owners seem to experience. So I went ahead and decided to replace the spark plugs.

After getting the spark plugs all swapped out I thought I had connected everything back like it was, but I had unfortunately missed the electrical cable that goes to the throttle body.

Prior to the spark plug replacement the engine would only run for about 5 seconds and then shut off. After replacing the plugs and driving the car around the engine ran for about 20 minutes but it sounded like it was running rough, I'm sure now due to lack of airflow. However, the engine eventually shut itself off and threw another drivetrain error.

After inspecting the engine once more I plugged the cable into the throttle body but now when trying to start the engine, it refuses to turn on. It will try to turn on you can hear about 1-3 cranks of the motor then it shuts off almost instantly.

Funny enough, when I remove the ignition coils and the spark plugs and try running the engine it continuously cranks without stopping. If I replace the spark plugs back in the engine the 1-3 cranks happen again and another drive train error persists.

Any thoughts or tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

Did you try to change the fuel pump relay in the first place? Many REX problems are due to bad fuel pump relay.

Back