Gearstick Selector

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agibbs

Hi all,

Having issues with my gear selector as it keeps becoming very loose and “floppy” when trying to change from drive to reverse.

When it happens I have to give it a fairly big bang back towards the steaming wheel to work again. I’ve removed the cap and checked the screws which are all tightened so wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Only suggestion is that it's a mechanical item subject to abuse and wear, and replacements are available. I wouldn't suffer with it – especially considering that it could stand you if it gives up completely.

Hi, Sorry to hijack the thread...however tonight my gear selector whilst still working has lost any mechanical stops or positional registers. I can select D or R or P however it feels as though if I went over a bump it would flop down. I have not checked the screws retaining the pivoting selector, and am hopeful it might be an easy fix. Does anyone know if a used part can be fitted without coding issues?
Update, Left the car overnight , this morning back to normal. I have left the car on charge all day and will see what happens. Car is 5 years old and on original 12v accessory battery.

Has anyone experienced similar issues, what was the fix?

Many thanks Jimmy

hi there

i am also experiencing the same issues with my gear selector. BMW and other garages "have not seen the fault" before. so unable to help, without a hefty bill to "investigate". a colleague had the same problem, but it rectified itself pretty quickly. Mine on the other hand has yet to do so. if anyone has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated please?

thanks

Needs something from BMW rather than all of us searching for a solution. Hope someone has a good idea.

Back