Mazda brings back the REX with 372 miles range!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agzand

And the Rex version won't be sold in the U.S. by Mazda, at least initially, according to the article.

Mazda focused on it being a true series-hybrid compared to the i3 REx... less emphasis on electric-only range and more on long-distance running, so definitely better suited for North America than the i3 was.

I actually prefer the i3 REX philosophy. The problem is that running it for long trips requires driver engagement. You need to watch the fuel gauge, watch the battery level, study what sort of terrain is ahead of you. It is like operating an airplane, too much for most people.

I personally enjoy all this, but it won't work for a mainstream car. So I don't blame Mazda. I just wish they could at least maintain 25 kWh of battery. The battery size (17.8 kWh) is too small to even cover daily drive for some people.

It's not a BEVX (Battery Electric Vehicle with Range Extender) like the i3. It's just another Plug-in Hybrid.

You can choose to use Electric mode (no gas), 'Regular' mode (gas engine kicks in at 40% charge), or Charge mode where you get to set the charge to maintain. A BEVX has to wait until the batter is "nearly depleted" before using gas.

It has an EV driving range of 85 kilometers but the 50-liter fuel tank "increases overall range to over 600 kilometers (372 miles)." So 85 km on battery and another 515 km on gas. To count as a BEVX it would have to reduce the gas range to below 85 km. That would be an 8.25 liter fuel tank.

BLINGMW said:
agzand said:
I personally enjoy all this
:lol: me too
I own a Chrysler Pacifica PHEV and I hate that they took the KISS principle to the max- no choice to switch between EV and gas, one pedal driving, or the ability to turn off the resistive cabin heat.

Back