What's triggering this thermal protection when driving hard?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLINGMW

I've never hit this thermal protection where the throttle is limited in a 1 min autocross, but it sounds like it doesn't take more than a few minutes of track use to trigger it. Does anyone actually know what components are getting hot first and triggering it?
Does running in roller mode help at all?
Then the obvious question... has anyone tried to improve the cooling there to make it better?

I think the limit is the inverter and motor. The newer batteries (42kWh in particular) should be able to provide more power. I say this based on the fact that BMW did not increase performance significantly when they doubled the battery size (minor increase for i3s). As a matter of fact they decreased performance in newer models to protect motor mounts.

Some people even claim the 42kWh models are slower than 24 and 33 kWh models.

42kw is slower because they reprogramed the car to save the plastic motor mount so the power is more of roll into it rather then punch you from the back. Thermal throttling is just bmw being overly cautious, I mean we use the same part in our inverter as Tesla that puts out 300+hp and capable of huge amps.

o2cool4g63 said:
42kw is slower because they reprogramed the car to save the plastic motor mount so the power is more of roll into it rather then punch you from the back./quote]
94 Ah and 120 Ah i3's have the stronger aluminum motor mount brackets which attach with larger, stronger bolts, so there's no polymer motor mount bracket to protect.

yeah, but once the problem was found, BMW turned down the power and also changed the mount and never turn the power back on in fear of more liabilities, even on the new models.

Back