Thoughts on charger adapters?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjoel

I've been contemplating whether to buy one of those Tesla to J1772 charger adapters. Has anyone tried charging their car at a Tesla charging station with an adapter? How was the experience?

P.S.
I have my eye on this brand
https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron-tesla-to-j1772-adapter-max-48a-250v-for-tesla-high-powered-connectors-destination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black?_pos=8&_sid=82b512aa3&_ss=r

I have had one of these (Tesla Tap brand) for about 2 years. Used it two-three times in hotels.

Keep in mind that these work for Level 2 only, you cannot use with superchargers.

Overall it could be useful in a pinch, but it would be really useful for someone who has a Tesla charger at home and wants to charge another EV. Other than that it will be an occasional use item.

as mentioned these would only be good at a L2 Destination charger, not a Supercharger.

Superchargers are basically L3 (DC Fast Charger) and locked to Tesla network. When they do transition some of them in the future, they will have an integrated "Magic Dock" that already adapts the Tesla format to CCS.

Back