Frunk and Boot release buttons in the cabin retrofit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawellond

Hello,

My i3S did not come with frunk and boot release buttons in the cabin, just blanking plates. It would be useful to have them, especially the front one. Has any one tried to retrofit this before? If so, was the wiring already there? Does it need coding? Should I buy the buttons would that be a simple plug and play or some more complicated install?

Many thanks

pawellond said:
Hello,

My i3S did not come with frunk and boot release buttons in the cabin, just blanking plates. It would be useful to have them, especially the front one. Has any one tried to retrofit this before? If so, was the wiring already there? Does it need coding? Should I buy the buttons would that be a simple plug and play or some more complicated install?

Many thanks

Can you post a picture? (will need to be posted in shareable format to google photos, ImgBB or some such site then post a link here)

I've never heard of missing the frunk and boot buttons... can't imagine they were an option from the factory so it sounds like someone maybe modified your car?

How do you open the Frunk without that Release Button?
and where are you located in the World?

I'm in UK, the Frunk only opens through the button on the keyfob. The car wasn't modified, it came with blanks instead of the buttons from factory.

Wow didn't know that was a thing! I guess it makes sense as a form of cost cutting, especially in any country that allows the fob to open the frunk. Here in Canada/North America the fob only pops the hatch so the cabin frunk button is necessary (unless you bimmercode the ability obviously)... however having the hatch popping button in the cabin is redundant and kind of useless if the car has Comfort Access.

Actually my 2014 had a frunk release on the fob. It even had an i3 pictograph rather than the i8 hatch release version.

https://imgur.com/a/jLB91ue

I was disappointed when I turned it in for a second lease because the 2017 fob came with the rear hatch button. Both had comfort access so I completely agree the hatch button is useless. I even expressed my disappointment with the fob change when taking delivery; my client advisor didn't realize the early fobs were different. Now that I own my 2021, I recoded the pointless panic button as a frunk release.

Hi, i did it. Coding not required, just making wiring loom and connect to bdc. If u wanna more info contact me via fb messanger and i will let u know how you can do it. Marek Gura ;-)

markiguru said:
Hi, i did it. Coding not required, just making wiring loom and connect to bdc. If u wanna more info contact me via fb messanger and i will let u know how you can do it. Marek Gura ;-)

Hey Marek, I couldn't find you on FB but I also want to do this. Wondered if it was possible for a while now, but only just thought to Google it!

My 2017 i3 also has blanks, can you contact me on here so I can find out how to do it?

Back