Screen Wash Hose Leak - Hose Location

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsC

Hi,

My i3 has a leak in the screen wash hose. You fill the bottle and it leaks into the footwells throughout the car, emptying the contents quickly.

BMW say they have no idea which way the hose travels through the car. They have taken a couple of panels off to see if they can see the problem, no success. Now they have quoted £1200 to remove seats and carpet to see if they can find the hose.

It seems bizarre that they have no idea where the hose is and need to take the car apart to find it!

Anyone had this issue?

Anyone have a schematic showing the hose route from bottle to the front and rear wipers?

Thank you.

A common problem is the failure of the windshield washer pump at the bottom of the windshield washer fluid reservoir which results in the washer fluid leaking out. If your washer fluid leaks out of the reservoir even when not using the washers, check the pump. Inexpensive replacements are available.

I don't know how washer fluid leaking from the pump would make its way to the footwells. Maybe it could travel along the outside of the hose from the pump to the rear window washer nozzle which must pass through the cabin.

If the leak is occurring only when using the rear window washer, the leak would probably be in the hose connecting the pump at the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir under the frunk. Unfortunately, I don't know the routing of that hose and haven't been able to find it.

Hello MrsC, and welcome to the forum, it's always nice to see new posters here!

You don't mention the specifications of your i3 which would be needed to give an exact schematic, but having made a guess about how your i3 is configured, check out these two links from realoem.com:

Windshield cleaning container:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z63-USA-01-2017-I01-BMW_i-i3_94Ah&diagId=61_3325

Single parts for windshield cleaning:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z63-USA-01-2017-I01-BMW_i-i3_94Ah&diagId=61_3326

If you want to be sure of the part numbers, start at the home page at realoem.com and drill down through their model selector to narrow things down to the car you have, but I suspect that there haven't been many changes to the window washing systems over the years.

Good luck!

alohart said:
A common problem is the failure of the windshield washer pump at the bottom of the windshield washer fluid reservoir which results in the washer fluid leaking out. If your washer fluid leaks out of the reservoir even when not using the washers, check the pump. Inexpensive replacements are available.

I don't know how washer fluid leaking from the pump would make its way to the footwells. Maybe it could travel along the outside of the hose from the pump to the rear window washer nozzle which must pass through the cabin.

If the leak is occurring only when using the rear window washer, the leak would probably be in the hose connecting the pump at the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir under the frunk. Unfortunately, I don't know the routing of that hose and haven't been able to find it.

Thanks, I'm still no further on with BMW. I'll ask them about the pump. thanks Alohart

Back