Parking lights on in the morning

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikew

I’ve found the parking lights on three times now when I go out to the garage in the morning. All lights are off when I check on the car in the evening a few minutes after I connect the charging cord and lock the car. It almost seems like the parking lights are turning on after the charge is complete.

Is this some part of pre-conditioning? Is it a configurable option somewhere in the settings?

The 'Welcome LIghts' function can turn them on depending on the ambient lighting conditions when you use the FOB to unlock the vehicle. Is the vehicle still locked when you notice them on? If you've unlocked it, and have set 'welcome lights' in the option menu, it's normal if it is dark enough (and in a garage, it probably would be). That's on page 85 of my version of the operator's manual.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t unlocked the vehicle, the parking lamps are on but the interior lamps are not.

This behavior is making me a little nervous. We picked up the car on Nov 8th but it’s been in the shop most of that time because the car has an intermittent error during charging…sometimes it charges to 100% with no problem but then sometimes will stop charging after about 5-10 minutes. Hopefully the unexpected parking lamps are part of the same broken part that’s causing the charging issue.

I've started experiencing this same problem where I come back to the car and find the parking lights are on. I have the light switch set to automatic headlights setting. This problem never occurred during the first 2 years of ownership, but has happened a couple of times in the last month. Any ideas on what might be going on, and how to correct this problem?

Thanks!

There are two ways this may be happening. Some YouTube videos show a switch to activate parking lights but my i3 does not have one.
There is a second much more likely way that they are activated.
If you hold down the turn indicator for just 2 seconds this automatically activates the parking lights on that side.
It's easy to do this if you are used to indicating just before you get home but the most likely is knocking the turn switch when exiting the vehicle.

Rob.

Cashpot said:
There are two ways this may be happening. Some YouTube videos show a switch to activate parking lights but my i3 does not have one.
There is a second much more likely way that they are activated.
If you hold down the turn indicator for just 2 seconds this automatically activates the parking lights on that side.
It's easy to do this if you are used to indicating just before you get home but the most likely is knocking the turn switch when exiting the vehicle.

Rob.
I also followed YouTube's instructions but the result was not as expected. And I think the problem is definitely not what I see on YouTube.
cookie clicker

Back