Performance Center delivery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waitingi3

People who purchase any BMW car in the US can chose (at no cost) to have it delivered to the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina. Delivery there includes driving instruction on a track in a similar vehicle to the one purchased.

Does Europe have a similar scheme, and if so has there been any word on whether the i3 will qualify?

Normally purchasers drive their own car home from the delivery center, but I'm wondering how BMW can expect an i3 to complete what may be a drive of more than 2000 miles to get home.

Can't find anything on the UK website about this.

I was hoping they offered a similar service to that of Mercedes.Instead of taking delivery in the UK you can collect in Germany and tour the factory etc. If I remember correctly, choosing this delivery option doesn't cost anything; flights and hotel included.

That said, I've just looked at the Mercedes website and can't find mention of the service - so maybe it's been discontinued.

Waitingi3 said:
Normally purchasers drive their own car home from the delivery center, but I'm wondering how BMW can expect an i3 to complete what may be a drive of more than 2000 miles to get home.

It's not BMWs problem is it?

If you've got a 2000 mile drive home then best not to pick it up from there surely?

SanSerif said:
Can't find anything on the UK website about this.

I was hoping they offered a similar service to that of Mercedes.Instead of taking delivery in the UK you can collect in Germany and tour the factory etc. If I remember correctly, choosing this delivery option doesn't cost anything; flights and hotel included.

That said, I've just looked at the Mercedes website and can't find mention of the service - so maybe it's been discontinued.

Mercedes did discontinue this option in the last year, a real shame.

BMW UK do not offer anything like Performance Center delivery.

They also do not offer Munich pick up to UK customers. I don't know why.

Too bad. When we lived in the US, we did both.

Our X3 at the Performance Center:

https://plus.google.com/photos/100459019350389786271/albums/5134542035640527153/5134543418619996498?banner=pwa&pid=5134543418619996498&oid=100459019350389786271

AndrewDebbie said:
BMW UK do not offer anything like Performance Center delivery.

They also do not offer Munich pick up to UK customers. I don't know why.

As BMW sell appox 130,000 cars pa in the UK I was told even if a small percentage took up the offer, the customer collection centre would be overwhelmed.

When we picked up our X3 at the old BMW Kundenzentrum Freimann, Munich deliveries were limited to Americans and others connected to BMW. I'm sure there were a few exceptions and possibly Diplomatic Sales. Most of the cars there had German number plates. There were two or three MINIs there. A few, like our X3, had export plates.

BMW Welt greatly increased capacity. I guess it wasn't enough to include the UK market.

We just about turned out the lights at Kundenzentrum Friemann. As I recall there was less than a week to go before it closed. The artwork behind our car shows what BMW were planning to do with the site. I think the new building is for Diplomatic and Direct Sales.

Back