Connected Drive Question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupedncal

I recently purchased a base Mega i3 Rex in the US and i have some questions about my remote services options. I of course have the base navigation package with NO Tech package.

(1) Via iRemote IOS app, i CAN view current charge state, Results of last Trip, Map from current phone location to car location.
(2) Via iRemote IOS app, I CANNOT send Lock or Unlock commands, flash headlights, turn on Horn, Set departure time, precondition the car, send map to car.

Basically, it looks like i have read access to the car but i cannot write / send anything to the car. When i try to send a command (lock, etc) to the car, the phone can reach the server but server cannot reach the car.

Now, from sitting in the car, when i go to Connected Drive menu, it says services are not enabled.

I have only had the car seven days so i am still learning my way around. At this point, i don't know what should be working in the base Mega trim and what features require the Tech package. Could someone shed some light on this?

Also, besides calling SOS line from the car, how else can i look at my Connected Car features? Isn't there a website portal for US that is apparently there for other countries? I have tried calling SOS and the person unfortunately did not know a thing about these features. And the sales person unfortunately also couldn't answer these questions.

I was instructed to use the SOS feature to call and enable the connected drive/iRemote functionality.

I have the basest of i3 BEV models, and I have access to all of the lock (no unlock), flash headlines, honk horn, etc. commands.

Schnort said:
I was instructed to use the SOS feature to call and enable the connected drive/iRemote functionality.

I have the basest of i3 BEV models, and I have access to all of the lock (no unlock), flash headlines, honk horn, etc. commands.

Great feedback. What do you get when you go into Connected Drive option from the main menu in your car screen?

Connected drive gives you things like access to Google search and a few other on-line things. The basics of the iRemote app should work on all versions once it is setup properly. To unlock the car in the USA, you must call them to perform it for you. As far as I can tell, the US customer does not have access to a portal where he can enter and modify any user information like is possible elsewhere.

Setting up a departure time is not particularly intuitive, but works once you figure it out. There may be differences depending on whether you have an iOS or Android version, but either should work. On Android, on the first screen, tap the little clock icon (not the time readout). THen, once you put in your desired time and select if it is once, or daily, or the day(s) of the week, you get an option to also have it precondition the cabin, and then you have to tap on the little checkmark to tell it to do it.

Thanks for this note. I have tried this from both an Android app and an IOS app and i am unable to issue any remote commands to the car from the iremote app. The read functions to get battery and range status works fine but I can't set precondition or destination times remotely. Interestingly enough, the owner's manual doesn't have any relevant info on this issue either. What to do? What to do?

get in the car, hit the SOS button and tell them it isn't an emergency, then try to work with them?

If you had a sharp dealer, he would have gotten you all registered. Use the SOS button and they can help you. If you haven't registered your Chargepoint account, you need to activate it as well. THey want a credit card in case one of the places you connect requires payment, but for now, most of them are free. The instructions are on the page with the card, hidden in the paperwork.

somewhere on the connected drive website there are options for enabling control of the car -- login and take a browse through the settings
Try "settings / set up services"

Schnort, whoever told you that was right! (I would like to know who directed you to do that)... Why it works I am not sure, but I had the same issue... In fact I had the issue in January too but I was never told the cause of the issue or what they did to fix it. My connected drive feature has not worked since May 17th, and I only noticed it last week. The iPhone app stopped talking to the vehicle (via the servers - so in fact the servers could not talk to the vehicle)... Tonight I found this thread and read what you wrote and so I got out in my car and pressed the SOS button on the ceiling panel of the car. At the same time I had the iPhone app running to see if the vehicle would send updated data to the iPhone - It had not. A woman named Drew answered the SOS call and I explained to her what happened and how the i3 Genius team (Bryce, and in managers) have not been able to resolve this for the past week since I told them about it. I explained to her how I found this thread and that someone was able to resolve this by calling SOS as well, but I was not sure if any action was required on the part of the SOS operator. Drew did not know either. So I asked her if she could determine where my vehicle was because I noted it said on the screen it was transferring data and the long and lat. values were shown on the same screen. Drew told me where I was and it was exactly right. I found that interesting. I checked the app and it was still not updated (still said May 17, 2015). I told her to lock my doors and she did - which worked immediately. She said it goes through whatever cell towers are in the area. I checked the app again and suddenly it was updated with recent data! I thanked her and then took the car for a drive and the ConnectedDrive menu and all its features came back! Checked the iPhone app again after putting the car on the charger and all is fine now and working. Thanks for your post!!!

Back