Can I simply plug in a 20A EVSE in my garage?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick

Hi i3 enthusiasts,

I'm planning to buy an i3 BEV soon, but as an EV newbie, I have a question about the best way to charge here in Europe (Belgium).

My electrician confirms that the standard European socket (Schuko) right below my fuse box in my garage can deliver 20A (x 230V = 4.6 kW) without any problems.

garage%2020A.jpg

However, my BMW dealer told me the standard-issue EVSE is limited to 10 amps. So purely due to the limitations of this cable, I would be charging at only 2.3 kW an hour. Usually not a problem for charging overnight, but still a shame that I'm only making use of half the amps I have right here at my disposal.

So, my question is, can I simply buy a better EVSE than the standard BMW one that would actually pull 20 amps (or even just 15 or 16, which would still shave off several hours)? Can I simply plug in something like this Clipper Creek one, with a small adapter to make the plug Schuko?

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-20-level-2

Or, would it not cost much more to just go all the way up to a 32A (7.4 kW) system? My electrician said that might be pushing it, because our house gets 40A total, so charging + using washer/dryer would be a problem.

I could have BMW install a Wallbox Pure 32A, but that would set me back 1900 euros, so that's why I'm looking at alternatives.

Thank you all so much in advance for any help or tips!

____

Edit: extra question: I've just come across this post saying the European i3 actually has another outlet than the US version, is that correct? If so, I obviously need to pay attention to which plug the EVSE has on the car side...

i3MK said:
[...] Thanks for the input, (truly), but it's not relevant since this i3 is an EU variant with IEC62196-2 rather than j1772. But again, thank you.

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2089&start=30

Would this one be any good?

DSIEC2e%20EVSE%20Euro-400x260.JPG

https://evconnectors.com/portable-ev-charger/Portable-Mode-2-62196-2-EVSE-Schuko-Domestic-Plug

The EV Connectors EVSE will be OK and give you a noticeable improvement in charge time. With only a 40A main supply you certainly should not install a 32A EVSE. Here in the UK I believe a continuous load such as car charging should not exceed 50% of the main supply. We have a 60A main supply and limit our EVSE to 16A.

Both the power plug and the i3 end of the EVSE is different between NA and Europe, and even in Europe, the power plug end will vary based on the country of purchase. In NA, the i3 end is tethered to the EVSE, those in Europe get an extension cord with the car to go from the EVSE to the i3. Some EVSE's even there may have a tethered cable. The control protocols are the same, but use different connectors. In the USA, the circuit powering the EVSE must be at least 125% of the load (a 20A circuit can provide 16A max in the USA with the way our codes are written).

BrianStanier said:
Here in the UK I believe a continuous load such as car charging should not exceed 50% of the main supply. We have a 60A main supply and limit our EVSE to 16A.

Is that UK regulation? Surely you can pull 32A on a 60A circuit as long as the remaining household load is minimal, like at night when everything is off.

Back