Interior LED colors

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technicks

I can't help but wonder - when going through the menus, we can choose 2 different color styles for the car ambient LEDs - one is the "amber" classic look, and the "modern" white (4000K or so) LED look - since we have access to code various settings in the car, is there an option to choose a different color? Or did BMW install one white and one amber LED instead of a full RGB led?

Same question applies for the lights when unlocking the car - the main light in the car, when unlocking, is a fantastic blue color. But once you enter the car, and turn the same light on manually, it is white! So... is this also an RGB LED or two separate LEDs, one white and one blue?

one white and one orange in each lamp unit. So you cant code other colors.
The Blue interior light Im pretty sure is a own blue LED and no RGB, would have been cool to find som coding to this.
Could be some other cool features.

Thanks megabmw!

I find this very odd... why would they do two circuits with two LEDs (at least 3 wires) instead of one single circuit with RGB? (there are many RGB LEDs that are also 3-wire with integrated driver and communications). Strange.

But yes, i checked and confirmed, you are correct. I read an article of someone installing an LED strip under the door that was connected to just one of the two colors, which confirms the theory as well.

Some other BMW's have the choice of Blue as well as red and white. I'd love it if ours had it too.

I'm a lighting engineer by trade. If by any chance i make some retrofit modules with a different color, would anyone be interested? Keep in mind that you would have to replace each and every LED module for this to work. Or, would you want to replace just the interior ceiling light with a blue one? Or maybe a different color? (Toss me a suggestion). I'm open to ideas if anyone is interested! Obviously the ceiling light replacement would be the easiest to do as it would be just one module.

I can also make a module with an RGB led that you could program to whatever color you want BEFORE installing it!

Let me know!

Back