BMW i3 pricing question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWDreams

Does anyone know how much the BMW is is going to cost? I can not find this information anywhere about the BMW i3 and was hoping someone here on the BMW i3 electric car forum had the answer.

BeamerFan's response sounds pretty close. I'm going to chime in and say slightly less though. The base MSRP won't be $50,000, I can guarantee you that. It has been speculated that it will cost 35,000 to 40,000 Euros, but remember BMW has different pricing for the US that Europe, and frequently price their cars slightly less for the US market. I'm going to say it's somewhere in the $42,500 to $47,500 range. Of course that is before the $7,500 federal tax credit so I'm thinking they will get it under 40K after you factor in the tax credit.

I know BMW is a luxury brand, and the BMW i3 has a lot of great features (like the carbon fiber body, possibility for a range extender etc), but I think since it's such a small car the price will have to be sub-$40K here in the US to get a large buy-in.

i3hopeful said:
I know BMW is a luxury brand, and the BMW i3 has a lot of great features (like the carbon fiber body, possibility for a range extender etc), but I think since it's such a small car the price will have to be sub-$40K here in the US to get a large buy-in.

I'm afraid it won't be under 40K. However there is the $7,500 federal tax credit so that will take the price down to the mid-upper 30's. I did a blog post about the price and listed the cost's & features of the other EV's. The i3 will have greater range, be faster, charge quicker and offer more premium standard options than any of it's competitors besides the Model S, and the base model S will cost $10,000 more than an i3.

I think that the new BMWi3 would really cost around $35K or more. However, I think that it's worth the price. To mention the specs of the car. I think that it's a great deal already.

fastcarlovers311 said:
I think that the new BMWi3 would really cost around $35K or more. However, I think that it's worth the price. To mention the specs of the car. I think that it's a great deal already.

It may cost about $35,000 AFTER the $7,500 federal tax credit, but not before. Expect the pricing to begin at around $43,000

So around 50K? Thats not too much for a BMW electric car. But I guess I've got to butter my dad a lot. I want a BMW i3 for my 18th birthday!!!!!!

Whatever the price may be, the BMW i3 is a stunning car and from the posts, i think its reasonable too. After all its a BMW electric car!

The information posted on wikipedia is a guess of one person. So far the only official information we have from BMWi themselves is that it will cost around $35,000.

The BMW i3 is a beautiful electric vehicle. It is made in a unique way with great finishes both in the interior and the outside. some of the materials used in building this car such as the carbon fiber monocoque chassis are very expensive. nonetheless, the car is environmental friendly and uses some other cheap materials such as the eucalyptus wood for the dashboard. one would expect a high price for this BMW electric car but according to earlier projections, the car would sell at about 40,000 euros. I think this is a fair price considering how classy BMW electric car is.

There has been a LOT of speculation about the i3's price. Almost none of it has come from BMW. The only direct quote from BMW has been that it "will cost less than a 5 series" Currently the 5 series starts at about $48,000US.

It will definitely cost more then $35,000 as someone posted I can guarantee you that. Most insiders say the base i3 will start at about $44,000 - $46,000US. You do of course get the federal tax credit of $7,500 so you can deduct that from the cost.

I think its quite a good deal for the BMW i3 to cost around 30k to 40k euros. The BMW electric vehicle is a very sophisticated vehicle and every penny is worth it. Most of the other electric vehicles cost around the same range and so BMW would actually be offering a very good deal for their electric vehicle.

What about those who will order the BMW electric car online? Will the cost be the same or will there be extra cost incurred?

Robert the price would not change for those who would order the BMW i3 online. The only extra cost that you are going to incur will be the shipping cost.

Hmm... I remember reading an article in Summer 2012 that BMWi3 wants to compete with Nissan LEAF saying that i3 will cost around 35k. Then in late November another article pointed out at 42k for BMWi3. Now I just read article in January that says BMWi3 will be available in 2014 the soonest(not 2013), and that it will cost 50k. So my question is, with slow EV sales in United States, with LEAF base model starting at 28k (which is super cheap for EV). Will BMWi3 really be 50k or more like at the beginning 35k?

My personal view is that, after reading all these rumors. I believe BMWi3 will cost around 35k. As you can see the interior looks modern, yet don't have many "extra" parts. Basic clean shapes, not too much stuff. The car shapes are modern yet basic. What do you guys think?

YashuV said:
Hmm... I remember reading an article in Summer 2012 that BMWi3 wants to compete with Nissan LEAF saying that i3 will cost around 35k. Then in late November another article pointed out at 42k for BMWi3. Now I just read article in January that says BMWi3 will be available in 2014 the soonest(not 2013), and that it will cost 50k. So my question is, with slow EV sales in United States, with LEAF base model starting at 28k (which is super cheap for EV). Will BMWi3 really be 50k or more like at the beginning 35k?

My personal view is that, after reading all these rumors. I believe BMWi3 will cost around 35k. As you can see the interior looks modern, yet don't have many "extra" parts. Basic clean shapes, not too much stuff. The car shapes are modern yet basic. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure who wrote the i3 "want's to compete with the Nissan LEAF" because that never came from anybody at BMW. I suppose some blogger or writer could have erroneously assumed that, but it it not the case. There will of course be some overlapping customers, simply because there just aren't many EV's out there to choose from.

The i3 will NOT cost $35,000, it will certainly be a good deal more. It maybe possible to get a base i3 for as low as $42,500, which after the federal tax credit could cost $35,000, but the price of the car will definitely be north of $40,000, and in reality will most likely start at about $43,000 -$45,000.

All these articles you point to had prices that were pure speculation. The only official thing BMW has said is the i3 would cost less than a 5-series which currently starts at about $49,000.

So figure a price range of about $44,000 to $54,000 depending on how loaded up you want it.

You have to appreciate the world is not the USA.

So it does depend on WHERE BMW's comment about the i3's pricing were made. IF the comment was made outside the USA the 5 Series starts well below that of the 528 in the USA .... I think there is even a 518 in some tax areas and certainly in Europe the 5 Series starts with the 520 at below £30k (with 20% sales tax). So the price is still up in the air however I think after our government rebate a BASE i3 could be the same price as a base Volt /Ampera which considering BMW are thinking about making 40,000 a year can only be a good thing. The only thing that stopped me signing on the dotted for an Ampera was the very low rent interior and terrible suspension..... two things BMW should be very good at. Plus despite the large difference in overall length I think the internal accommodation should be very similar.... because the wheelbase of the i3 is actually longer than the Volt/Ampera..... hopefully giving the i3 more rear legroom.

Back