New 2014 REx model

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macgreiner

I'm going to take a look at a 'new' 2014 Rex model tomorrow. Most of my research is based on what I have read of the 2015 models. Are there any big differences I need to be cognizant of? i.e. Can I fast charge or is it an addon? Same for using the iPhone app? Thanks ahead.

You can only fast charge if it has fast charge option installed when manufactured. It cannot be added after the fact. iPhone app is the same for both 2014 and 2015's. Make sure it has not been in service so you should get all green rebates and 4 year warranty from delivery date. Hopefully you can get a very good discount. See the great pricing that was offered in October http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3282

Good luck

Also, make sure it wasn't titled already. If it was, then you aren't eligible for the federal tax credit of $7,500 and that money should come right off the top before you even get more of a discount because you're basically taking a two year old car off their hands!

In service date is good - still valid for rebates. Looks like it does not come with the DC fast charge option. Is it a big loss if I am planning on using it as a commuter?

macgreiner said:
In service date is good - still valid for rebates. Looks like it does not come with the DC fast charge option. Is it a big loss if I am planning on using it as a commuter?

Personally, I wouldn't buy an EV that didn't have the ability to DC Fast charge, but that's me and I know how I use my cars. The DC fast charge infrastructure is rapidly expanding now and in the next two years there will be an enormous proliferation of CCS DC Fast charge stations installed in most major cities in the US. Perhaps if you live in a really rural area it won't make much a difference because the infrastructure will take longer to mature - plus you'll have the REx.

I have a DC fast charge station on my property in Montclair NJ, and after using it for a few months, I don't know how I lived without it! Once the stations start popping up near where you live you'll really wish you could use them. However the REx can offer the versatility that charging fast can also, (albeit on gasoline) so you'll still be able to do whatever you want to, so you really don't *need* to fast charge. I just personally want to drive on electricity as much as possible and fast charging allows you to really do so provided the stations are where you need them to be.

As far as "using it as your commuter" I've heard that hundreds of times. I promise you once you get the car it will quickly become your primary vehicle and you'll want to drive it everywhere you go! :)

Fair points - thanks Tom.
A lease didn't work well on the the new 2014 model, so I opted for one of the white Rex's on the lot. Moot point now I suppose. So very happy to join the i3 club. I can see after only a couple of jaunts in it so far , I can see how this can change the way we think of transportation. It its super fun to drive. If these things are only 170HP - then I'd hate to think how quick off the mark the P90D's are!

Back