Bigger Rex fuel tank

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Since the tiny REx fuel tank is only to meet US regulatory requirements - can we have an optional 5gallon/25l tank for other markets?

Maybe some enterprising third party company could offer a conversion.

Otherwise we're all going to be driving around with 5 gallon cans in the boot like WW2 black marketeers!

Hi Jeremy,

it may or may not be because of the US regulations, but the physical space for the fuel tank is very constrained. According to my research the tank houses inside the frame, behind the front axle. I've marked the components I could make out (to the best of my ability) in red:

bmw-i3-117%20copy.jpg

From my post in this thread: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=175&start=10

Steven

PS: where should the tank go ? You wouldn't want to end up with a Pinto-firebomb just behind the front bumper...

We had paid a deposit and had an i3 REx on order when we learned that the U.S. model would have a 7-liter (1.9-gallon) fuel tank rather than the 9-liter (2.4-gallon) tank fitted in Europe. I had been aware of rumors of the smaller tank on U.S. models when we originally placed the order, so I expressly reserved the right to cancel if the tank was not 9 liters. The dealer believed it was 9 liters, so had no problem accommodating what it probably believed was my crazy request to place that condition on our order. When the first BEV arrived at the dealership, the salesman checked the owner's manual and confirmed that the tank was 7 liters. He called me with the news, and we cancelled the order.

Sounds crazy I know, but we plan to use the car for a once-monthly trip of about 200 miles in a day (through an area with widely scattered fuel stops). That extra 1/2 gallon was important to us.

Here's my question: Does anyone know if the European tank could be fitted to a U.S. i3 REx?

pdurham said:
We had paid a deposit and had an i3 REx on order when we learned that the U.S. model would have a 7-liter (1.9-gallon) fuel tank rather than the 9-liter (2.4-gallon) tank fitted in Europe. I had been aware of rumors of the smaller tank on U.S. models when we originally placed the order, so I expressly reserved the right to cancel if the tank was not 9 liters. The dealer believed it was 9 liters, so had no problem accommodating what it probably believed was my crazy request to place that condition on our order. When the first BEV arrived at the dealership, the salesman checked the owner's manual and confirmed that the tank was 7 liters. He called me with the news, and we cancelled the order.

Sounds crazy I know, but we plan to use the car for a once-monthly trip of about 200 miles in a day (through an area with widely scattered fuel stops). That extra 1/2 gallon was important to us.

Here's my question: Does anyone know if the European tank could be fitted to a U.S. i3 REx?

Dealer probably didn't care a bit. The first of the BMWi3 models would sell quick with more buyers than vehicles.
If it's a US federal regulation . There is not a hope of BMW shipping an illegal tank for one sale.
I would suspect somebody with a tape measure and some 4,5 or 6" dia aluminum pipe could whip up a custom tank(s). That would fit inside a frame rail and hold 2-4 gallons. Simple enough to plumb in a fill from the factory tank .

buickanddeere said:
pdurham said:

Dealer probably didn't care a bit. The first of the BMWi3 models would sell quick with more buyers than vehicles.
If it's a US federal regulation . There is not a hope of BMW shipping an illegal tank for one sale.
I would suspect somebody with a tape measure and some 4,5 or 6" dia aluminum pipe could whip up a custom tank(s). That would fit inside a frame rail and hold 2-4 gallons. Simple enough to plumb in a fill from the factory tank .

It's not a federal regulation for all 50 states, it is for the CARB states only so that BMW can get more CARB credits to enable it to sell gas guzzlers in those states without having to pay more in carb fines/fees.

So basically they (BMW) hampered the flexibility of the vehicle for customers in all 50 states in order to fatten their own wallet (basically).

I guess the next step in this sorry tale is to have a look at the actual tank and compare it with the tanks in the rest of the world. It's possible BMW just added a fill piece or some kind of restriction to the original tank to reduce capacity. If that is the case, it might be an easy fix.

pdurham said:

I feel bad for you, but you acted on incorrect information.
There is NO difference in size in REx fuel tanks!

There was an error somewhere in the marketing chain; someone confused US gallons with UK gallons.
The tank in the US is the same size as in Europe! You should not have cancelled your order. Oh well - no worry, once the initial orders are filled, I don't think you'll have any problems getting one. They are literally sitting on the lots here in Toronto.

mindmachine said:
It's not a federal regulation for all 50 states, it is for the CARB states only so that BMW can get more CARB credits to enable it to sell gas guzzlers in those states without having to pay more in carb fines/fees.

So basically they (BMW) hampered the flexibility of the vehicle for customers in all 50 states in order to fatten their own wallet (basically).

I can't quite see how the BMW efficient dynamics engineering is seen as "gas guzzling". In the UK the entire range of BMW vehicles is well below the CO2 output of other manufacturers who are struggling to catch up. Take a look at Audi, Mercedes not to mention General Motors. BMW has won awards for bringing everyday models below the 100g threshold. Other manufacturers of small compact cars are now having to match that and they are certainly not gas guzzlers by any stretch.

BMW left Formula 1 in part because it didn't require a focus on efficiency. Now Bernie has had to introduce a 100litre limit on fuel per race and hybrid electrics with regen into the formula. All the other gas guzzler manufacturers had to be forced to that. Oh and I think Honda dropped out for the same reasons?

Are they trying to build efficient vehicles and make a profit as well as complying with regulations? Of course.

Gonville said:
mindmachine said:

I can't quite see how the BMW efficient dynamics engineering is seen as "gas guzzling". In the UK the entire range of BMW vehicles is well below the CO2 output of other manufacturers who are struggling to catch up. Take a look at Audi, Mercedes not to mention General Motors. BMW has won awards for bringing everyday models below the 100g threshold. Other manufacturers of small compact cars are now having to match that and they are certainly not gas guzzlers by any stretch.

BMW left Formula 1 in part because it didn't require a focus on efficiency. Now Bernie has had to introduce a 100litre limit on fuel per race and hybrid electrics with regen into the formula. All the other gas guzzler manufacturers had to be forced to that. Oh and I think Honda dropped out for the same reasons?

Are they trying to build efficient vehicles and make a profit as well as complying with regulations? Of course.

Never the less that is why they want the REX version rated as a BEVx here so thay can get more carb credits for each one sold in the state of California. It has to do with meeting fleet fuel economy requirements. The ability of a car company to be able to sell has to do with the fuel efficiency ratings of all the cars they want to sell as a fleet overall number. Plus I aslo think California mandated recently that the company must also sell some quantity of zero emission vehicles too. That is why Toyota only sells the Prius plug-in and the Rave 4 EV in CARB states in the US. Google the CARB laws.

I am sure Tom said that was an error, arising from confusion on US vs imperial gallons. And that in fact the tank size is the exact same.

Sorry, you are correct ultraturtle.

I'm getting tired of all this misinformation BS on the cars.
First it was different, then it wasn't. Now it is. WTF?!

The dealers don't know much about the car. The tank is smaller...

The stupid REx can't be used manually in the US

I'm about to say enough and choose another car.

I am hoping in Canada is it a 9L tank.

The data is very confusing. On the BMW.com website it makes no mention of a smaller US gas tank. It lists the size as 9L.

Surge said:
Probably a good time to stop using the ridiculous US measurement units!

Tank size is 9 liters.

Agree its a 9 litre tank.

That is 2.4 gallons.

Actually it's 2.378 US gallons

Crickey, that is 0.398 more than my UK i3

Surge said:
I am hoping in Canada is it a 9L tank.

The data is very confusing. On the BMW.com website it makes no mention of a smaller US gas tank. It lists the size as 9L.

Wrong the US website says 1.9 US gallons, just checked it. Get used to BMW's arcane way of fucking US customers because of the dam CARB credits they want. To enable them to sell gas guzzlers in California.

Can you identify which vehicles are "gas guzzlers"? (besides the M5 which is still a V8 but only 232g CO2. combined MPG 28.5

GM Press Release said:
GM has improved its fuel economy ratings between 2009 and 2012. According to EPA figures, in 2009 GM vehicles averaged only 19.9 mpg as of 2012 the average mpg for GM vehicles rose to 21.4 mpg. Part of the reason GM is generating better efficiency numbers is due to the fact that they are manufacturing less big vehicles and more smaller fuel efficient cars including hybrids and fully electric vehicles.

So is the most powerful BMW at 28.5mpg versus the AVERAGE for GM at 21.4? (Hopefully we are on the same units here). I can't quite see who is making "gas guzzlers" from that comparison?

GM Press Release said:
In 2009 GM had an average carbon emissions rating of 447 (g/mi). In 2012 GM saw its CO2 emissions decline to 418 (g/mi). GM is also a global biofuel leader including ethanol which in comparison to gas, emits 21 percent less CO2.

.....so that might be M5 232g GM average 418g? Can someone check that's right?

Surge said:
Probably a good time to stop using the ridiculous US measurement units!

Tank size is 9 liters.

There is a valid argument that the tank size is the same and the 1.9 vs 2.4 confusion is due to measurement unit stuff up.

There is also a valid argument that BMW USA tinkered with the tank size to meet regulations.

We just won't know which argument is correct until someone runs a REX dry and fills it. Hurry up! :)

Back