i3 Horn sound

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norval

While I had driven quite a nice quantity of cars, and even some BMW motorcycles, I am disappointed at the sound of the i3 Horn. For me sounds week and a bit Jap car style. Nothing like the power of a double tone BMW horn in the 1990s !
Dont get me wrong, I dong go honking on every pedestrian that goes by, but when I need to use the horn, I sometimes fell embarrassment as how weak it is. What do you think?

not only is it weak and not very loud, but there is an unacceptable delay between the time i slam my disgusted fist on the steering wheel center due to some knucklehaed not looking and pulling out right in front of me until the horn actually sounds.

:p

justanotherdrunk said:
not only is it weak and not very loud, but there is an unacceptable delay between the time i slam my disgusted fist on the steering wheel center due to some knucklehaed not looking and pulling out right in front of me until the horn actually sounds.
Oh, you wanted the "666 - Boston Fahrstil mit Dellen" option. :mrgreen:

Bob Wilson

+1, not loud and I don't like the delay. I was disappointed the first time I had to use it and even wondered if one of two horns was disconnected. My previous car, a Saabaru, had a very loud horn that was more effective and I knew other drivers could hear it. Now I wonder if a driver can hear my horn when they pull a stupid driving trick, especially if they have they're car stereo turned up.

I too agree. the horn was an unpleasant surprise when i first used it, especially in comparison with my 2005 3-series. As long as it gets attention, I don't care much. But it definitely sounds weenie.

Not only wimpy sound and terrible turn-on delay, but the i3 horn is virtually impossible to "tap" a short beep that would be pedestrian friendly. The horn is nearly as bad as the sun visors (minimal use on the side windows).

Last week, I needed the horn when a crew-cab, pickup driver changed into my lane while I was overtaking. These are terrific brakes!

Over in seconds, my priorities were: (1) brake hard, (2) steer to avoid impact, and (3) possibly beep-beep. My rule of thumb, drive the car then worry about making a noise. It was over before a beep would have made a difference.

Perhaps we can get an automated horn in the future?

Bob Wilson

Looks like I'm a little late to this game. I have to laugh...I took my i3 to the dealership asking if my horn was broken. It sounds like one of the horns is out and lost the harmonic sound. I was informed that this is the normal anemic sound. I wonder if an after-market horn can be used as a replacement, or does it need to have a special circuit to show that it is non-functional? Hard to imagine a sound like this in a car over $52k. I am now wondering if the airbags are half-sized.

Yes, it's awful.
BUT.
I do think this may be a plan by BMW to encourage drivers of electric cars, who might have more thought for others, to avoid using a horn. When do we actually need it?
Well obviously as a warning mechanism, especially since i3s are rather quiet for pedestrians to hear.
As a reminder to someone we are waiting outside their house for them.
But mostly because we are furious about someone (like the contractor who hasn't discovered indicators) who does something foolish. It's our way of venting!

I've often thought about a small display alongside the high-level brake light which has a display which shows a message sent via voice-command at the precise moment. You know, get in front and say what you think. A bit like the police cars with their 'Follow Me' light. And . . . yes, I have had that happen to me.

Look on You Tube for I3 Horn Replacement. Relatively easy to replace the stock wimpy single horn with dual high and low tone PIAAs or Hellas.
As we all know the single stock FIAM is pretty damn wimpy.....clown car horn.
Honk-on.

Road Jager

When we first bought our 2014 i3 4 years ago, I rang the local BMW dealership to ask if they sold tall blue hats with bells on to match the sound of the horn (if you are too young to get that, just google Noddy). No joy with either that request nor an upgrade horn so I fitted a PIAA Twin Tone Slimline kit - fairly easy to install and sounded like a proper BMW again!
Anyway, we have just bought a 2019 i3s and very pleased with it we are........EXCEPT that it still has that ghastly little parper in the frunk so have just ordered another upgrade kit. £47.52 inc VAT and postage from Rallynuts.

Back