Norval

i3 Horn sound

While I had driven quite a nice quantity of cars, and even some BMW motorcycles, I am disappointed at the sound of the i3 Horn. For me sounds week and a bit Jap car style. Nothing like the power of a double tone BMW horn in the 1990s !
Dont get me wrong, I dong go honking on every pedestrian that goes by, but when I need to use the horn, I sometimes fell embarrassment as how weak it is. What do you think?
justanotherdrunk

Re: i3 Horn sound

not only is it weak and not very loud, but there is an unacceptable delay between the time i slam my disgusted fist on the steering wheel center due to some knucklehaed not looking and pulling out right in front of me until the horn actually sounds.

:P
2014 i3 BEV
Solar Orange/ Mega
bwilson4web

justanotherdrunk wrote:not only is it weak and not very loud, but there is an unacceptable delay between the time i slam my disgusted fist on the steering wheel center due to some knucklehaed not looking and pulling out right in front of me until the horn actually sounds.
Oh, you wanted the "666 - Boston Fahrstil mit Dellen" option. :mrgreen:

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime
ASUN

I absolutely agree to the OP. The horn is horrible and embarrassing. :x
- ASUN, 2016 BMW i3 BEV, Arravani Grey, Suite Interior, 20's, since Oct 25, 2015
brorob

+1, not loud and I don't like the delay. I was disappointed the first time I had to use it and even wondered if one of two horns was disconnected. My previous car, a Saabaru, had a very loud horn that was more effective and I knew other drivers could hear it. Now I wonder if a driver can hear my horn when they pull a stupid driving trick, especially if they have they're car stereo turned up.
LCTRNZ

I too agree. the horn was an unpleasant surprise when i first used it, especially in comparison with my 2005 3-series. As long as it gets attention, I don't care much. But it definitely sounds weenie.
2005 imola red 330i ZHP / 2017 protonic blue i3 BEV
i3Alan

Not only wimpy sound and terrible turn-on delay, but the i3 horn is virtually impossible to "tap" a short beep that would be pedestrian friendly. The horn is nearly as bad as the sun visors (minimal use on the side windows).
brinton7

Not sure if getting more attention because of the weird sound of the horn is a good thing.
bwilson4web

Last week, I needed the horn when a crew-cab, pickup driver changed into my lane while I was overtaking. These are terrific brakes!

Over in seconds, my priorities were: (1) brake hard, (2) steer to avoid impact, and (3) possibly beep-beep. My rule of thumb, drive the car then worry about making a noise. It was over before a beep would have made a difference.

Perhaps we can get an automated horn in the future?

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime
OceanDragon

Looks like I'm a little late to this game. I have to laugh...I took my i3 to the dealership asking if my horn was broken. It sounds like one of the horns is out and lost the harmonic sound. I was informed that this is the normal anemic sound. I wonder if an after-market horn can be used as a replacement, or does it need to have a special circuit to show that it is non-functional? Hard to imagine a sound like this in a car over $52k. I am now wondering if the airbags are half-sized.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”