Weather-proofing the Frunk

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joei3Rex

Sup guys, I'm new on here. Upon first purchasing my i3 just about a month ago I was positive I could weather-proof the Frunk (front trunk). I figured the car was out long enough that a fellow gearhead would have tackled this and made a DIY youtube vid, or an avid kickstarter-like company out of a garage somewhere would've made a container that fits factory-snug within the frunk lined with a good rubber seal effectively making the funk weather tight. I was so wrong.
The gap between the frunk and the ceiling of the hood is wide enough that a rubber seal cannot be directly applied, on top of the layout of the compartment makes a direct seal ineffective due to the screen trims on either side of the frunk.
Can anyone with the sources needed to tackle this issue give a good effort in resolving the popular need/want to make the frunk functionable? That would be my suggestion, its a tiny tiny suggestion, weather-proofing the frunk. Not a sealed bag, not a craftsman plastic container, not a big-o-tuplewear. Please?

Our frunk is probably >95% waterproof/weatherproof. For the past year and 9 months the contents of our frunk has been covered with a white towel. During that time it has gotten damp a few times but never wet. And it is still perfectly white. Nothing rusty or wet in frunk. This includes going through car wash.

The BMW i. Board Bag is a vinyl bag with a roll top and Velcro closure that’s sized perfectly for the front compartment. When rolled and fastened correctly, it’s weather proof. The interior has dividers correctly proportioned for the tire kit and 120v cable with room left over for odds and ends. It even includes a pair of gloves that I suppose are useful if you encounter a dirty public charger cable. The suggested price over $100 is kind of ridiculous but I found mine for much less after a bit of searching.

I understood there was a key reason for it not being weatherproof. It’s the storage location for the Type 2 cable which is inevitably stowed wet on occasions. Weatherproof means a wet cable stowed in it would render the contents permanently damp.

Try stowing your wet Type 2 in the boot on a cold night as an alternative and see the state of the rear windows in the morning. Once done, never repeated.

EGGY said:
IKEA plastic box with a sealable lid ? I'm going to have a measure up at some point
There’s a clear plastic one with lid that fits perfectly, I’ve got one to house the contents of my frunk that I want to keep dry. There’s also room for the Type 2 alongside it.

Gif said:
I understood there was a key reason for it not being weatherproof. It’s the storage location for the Type 2 cable which is inevitably stowed wet on occasions. Weatherproof means a wet cable stowed in it would render the contents permanently damp.
I've never read that explanation. Sort of makes sense in a damp climate.

There are drain holes in the frunk box that don't seem to allow water in. Certainly BMW could have designed flow-through ventilation without letting in more water as well as leaves and other crap.

Back