Vitamin7

Re: Have smaller 6" screen anyway to upgrade to 9" screen?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:20 am

I've been looking for awhile too. These larger screens are difficult to find.

Rdotth

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:44 pm

If anyone is interested. I have one for sale :)

No idea what they would be worth, I know the 9” screens out of the 3 series sells for between 2-400 dependant.

Judging by lack of them on the market, I will be putting it on eBay tomorrow.

Unless I get an offer I’d like from you guys?

** joined because I’d seen this thread**.

mollyuk

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Just thought I’d add a note to this topic as I made the conversion shortly after buying a used I3 last year. First thing I’d say is that overall it’s a relatively easy mod to make. My biggest challenge was actually sourcing the new larger head unit. From BMW in the UK the cost was very expensive but I found a used one on eBay from a car being broken. Also, I used the BimmerCode app to do the reprogramming which I found very easy to use. All in all I was delighted with the mod.

HOWEVER - point to note here if it has not already been mentioned: changing the programming can cause issues down the line which I found out this week. Long story short my I3 developed a fault with its “Park Lock Actuator” which meant the car would not go into gear. A part required replacing costing £2,500... BMW very kindly paid most of the bill out of goodwill (even though the car is out of warranty)! Anyway, with the new part installed the car needed to be reprogrammed and what BMW do is look at the original build spec of the car and reprogram accordingly. Once the car was reprogrammed I had a call from BMW asking me for another £1,000 to replace the head unit which was no longer working. I was honest and explained the upgrade I made and said I’d simply fix the programming at home.

So the lesson learnt is if you make this change let BMW know before they do any major works on your car.

Rdotth

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi there. I’ve received emails on here from people interested in buying the screen I have. The upgraded size.

I have replied, but messages are sat in “outbox”. Is this normal or is there something else I need to be doing to enable this to be sent?

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”