armozo

Re: Replacing Steering Wheel

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:17 am

Hi all, I got it done. Wow!!! It was extremely hard to remove the airbag. The left side popped free fast, the right side took one hour to pry away. This tutorial helped https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attac ... 1473573872

Removing the steering wheel was easy. I removed a 16mm bolt and pulled it out. Putting it back was easy, there is only one way to put it back, the splines are keyed. Torqued it back 40 foot pounds.

Putting back the airbag was difficult in the sense that alignment is a must. I misaligned it the first go around and the horn was stuck on :). Perhaps a rookie mistake.

Anyway it is all done and looks amazing. I hope this helps someone.

TheMK

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks. I'd like to eventually replace my i3's steering wheel. Either one from another BMW model, or the Tera black leather wheel. I guess I should start looking at parts diagrams and see what's available to swap in. I really liked the M-sport steering wheel that I used when I got to drive an M760Li.

tman66

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 am

This is awesome, thanks for posting.

I changed the OEM steering wheel twice in my two previous 330i E90 cars. I installed a M-Sport leather wheel with tri-color stich which I ordered from eBay and shipped from Europe. The steering wheel was fantastic. I'm hoping to find one that I can retrofit to the i3. The OEM wheel is too thin (IMO).
2014 i3 BEV | 2011 328xi Wagon

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”