bwilson4web

Re: Plugging a flat - lessons learned

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am

Here is my first, successful plug from the inside:

I had to do the second one twice. The key was letting the sealant fill the reamed hole. The first plug failed with a slow air leak. Internally, there were two plugs:

Since I replaced the Prius Prime with a Tesla Model 3, the BMW i3-REx is now the backup. So instead of further experiments, I had the local tire store mount the tires. But the jack worked great:

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

jadnashuanh

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Since you had the tire dismounted, why didn't you put in an industry standard plug patch? Do that once, and it doesn't leak, won't let moisture into the carcass, or degrade the tire further.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

bwilson4web

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:48 am

jadnashuanh wrote:Since you had the tire dismounted, why didn't you put in an industry standard plug patch? Do that once, and it doesn't leak, won't let moisture into the carcass, or degrade the tire further.
The driver side tire after ~36k miles was worn out:
  • inner, shallow groove had disappeared
  • middle groove was just about at the wear bars
  • outer groove was shallow
I was planning to replace both rear tires and had the news ones already from Tire Rack. I was waiting for good weather.

The passenger side tire was less worn, ~25k miles. The original hit some road debris that sliced the sidewall. I prefer tires matched for tread depth and wear.

This also gave me a chance to test the jack and tire changing procedure. I found the 3/8" ratchet wrench failed to take off the lug bolts by 'clicking under load.' So I went with a break-over which worked perfectly. I will include a socket sized to replace the pump receiver and throw out the original, jack handle.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”