Motor defect

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvxvm

Dear community,

I have the following problem: after I've noticed unusual sounds in the car I brought it to the BMW service. They've found out that the whole electric motor should be changed. So, it's not clear yet if the fabric takes over the costs - 8k euro. I'm very nervous cause the repair price is almost the half of the buying price (I've bought it used).

Do you have any advices? Or maybe someone had the same "technical problem"?

Cheers Max

I have not heard of any motors failing in the i3.

Sounds more like, they couldn't be bothered taking it apart to find the actual problem and could be assuming/wishing the new motor , at your great expense will fix the problem with minimal effort on their part but hey, I could be wrong.

I'd definitely take it to another dealer and don't say you were with another dealer.

I did hear of another motor failing several months ago. Poster said that the noise got louder and louder until it couldn't be ignored. I am not too sure about the details but it seamed that the dealership didn't want to do anything until the noise was unbearable.

i3Houston said:
Arent the motors covered under 8years/100K miles warranty.

Current UK warranty is

3 years unlimited milage with these exceptions:

Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for first 12,000 miles. All other adjustments are not covered.

Battery 8 years / 100,000 miles with a net capacity of at least 70% of original.

12 years anti-corrosion

** I haven't read the fine print...

I have the same problem, Motor Bearing failure, requires a replacement Motor! 4100GBP.

39000 miles and 6 months out of warranty.

I am waiting a reply from BMW to see if they will pay for this on goodwill.

After only 86k KM my i3 started to make noise - they told me eTransission needed replaced - once done, they told me ohh by the way eMotor is defect too. ~about $6k + $10k in total --- I'm VERY concerned, but not yet upset, because I trust BMW will own the fact that they priced and sold this i3 to be able to go more then 86k KM based on the normal high BMW quality - therefore if it turns out I only got half the car I paid for they should come up with a goodwill based resolution. I'll let you know how it goes once I hear back

CBoserup said:
After only 86k KM my i3 started to make noise - they told me eTransission needed replaced - once done, they told me ohh by the way eMotor is defect too.
Which is more probable?
1. both the transmission/differential unit and the propulsion motor are defective at the same time, or
2. the dealer misdiagnosed the problem that is more likely caused by either a bad transmission/differential unit or propulsion motor but not both.

Sounds like the dealer replaced the transmission/differential unit first which did not fix the problem which they then discovered was due to a bad propulsion motor.

Whichever is true, it's still an expensive repair. What year is your i3?

Same problem here.

Etransmission bla bla ...motor has coolent inside wtf how is it possible for a eletric motor failed so hard.

I work in a factory where exists electric motors running 24h day for years ...

Out off warranty ...trying to ask bmw for goodwil ...or else iam going to sell it for parts and bmw never again.

Dear Community,

I have encountered the same problem. My i3 Rex is from 2015 and has 90.000 km. Suddenly the engine made increasingly a noice which, after investigation by the dealer, turns out to be a baering failure inside the electric motor. They have seen this 1-2 a year according to the dealer.

A refurbished motor can be fitted at € 5600,-. I'm unsure if it's worth it considering the age and km of the vehicle. And, whats next? The Rex?.

Question: in the old days you could contnue driving with a broken bearing until the noice simply became too loud. What are the risks in doing so with the electric motor?

RexMan said:
Motor failing or bearings and motor replacement being the easiest solution ?

Design flaw - they used the wrong bearing type in pre-2018 model years... so replacing the bearing isn't going to be a long-term "fix", but a band-aid.

Crispin said:
I have the same problem, Motor Bearing failure, requires a replacement Motor! 4100GBP.

39000 miles and 6 months out of warranty.

I am waiting a reply from BMW to see if they will pay for this on goodwill.

What became of your situation? Did BMW help? These days I read of an increasing number of this failure, and many are able to get a free motor from BMW Corporate, customer pays for installation.

Has anyone looked to see if it is possible to put the 2018 bearings into a pre 2018 i3? For those of us who plan to keep the car rolling, new batteries and etc.

Hasij2 said:
Has anyone looked to see if it is possible to put the 2018 bearings into a pre 2018 i3? For those of us who plan to keep the car rolling, new batteries and etc.

Disassembling a large PM motor like this is a near impossibility - without very specialized equipment. The highly-magnetic rotor will grab onto the stator, and pulling them apart without damage would take a hydraulic machine with extremely strong "centering".

Re-assembling would be even worse... as the rear-mounted position sensor must be re-aligned with the rotor exactly as it was removed, or else the Inverter won't know when to send what phase in what order to get proper operation.

One guy that tried it ended up with a motor that ran backwards... and I don't think he ever got it resolved.

And then there's the question of whether-or-not the bearings are interchangeable. BMW said they switched to taper roller bearings, which most likely would NOT fit the old housings.

Back