Are BMW serious about selling the i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSH1

We picked up our i3 in March after a 3 month and 9 day wait. I now hear from our local Toronto area dealer that the wait is six months. One might think that this is due to the popularity of the car, but I have not seen another one on the road in weeks. Given that BMW does not appear to advertise the i3, are they really serious about selling the car, or are they trying to discourage sales? I'd like to hear the comments of others, especially those associated with BMW.

I think BMW is very serious about selling the i3. I have been going to CES in Las Vegas for almost 20 years and for the past 3 years BMW has had one of the most impressive displays explaining the electronics and manufacturing of their i cars as well as all the possibilities for their future and the integration of technology with their other cars. They also have a fleet of cars that they let people drive.

With that said electric cars are still a niche market. I think they are spending money advertising but in select markets. The i3 isn't for everyone understanding that it makes sense that advertising to everyone would be a waste of resources.

Another example different markets is here in Arizona I rarely see electric cars Tesla's are even more rare. When I went last week to visit a friend in Southern California I got excited when I saw a nice Tesla and my buddy said no big deal you'll see a bunch and he is right there are so many Tesla's there you can't go around a corner without seeing another one.

For now I am just going to enjoy having a different car that most people haven't ever seen before. I get so many people here in Arizona that wave, stare and ask questions when given the opportunity. I guess we're helping advertise also :)

Back