Collision repair feedback

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hushman

I would like to hear from owners who have had collision repairs done to their i3s - involving both body panels and the carbon fiber chassis. Where did you have it done, what was involved in the process, were the results satisfactory, and were there any unanticipated issues or costs? Any advice and/or what would you do differently next time?

Hushman
Victoria BC Canada

In the USA, not all BMW dealerships have invested the time, money, and training required to safely repair the CFRP body components. Some of the stuff is fairly easy for any good shop to deal with, but I would be really careful about who repaired the CFRP stuff. Luckily, I've not needed to have any done. If you haven't been trained on these materials, you can mess things up radically. Because not everyone can do it, there isn't as much competition, so the prices tend to be higher. If I needed repairs, first thing I'd do is search out a BMW CFRP certified shop. If it were just a plastic body panel...most shops can remove and replace that and paint it.

August 22nd last year Hollywood Blvd, rear-ended. Took out the back end, glass, bumpers, side panels etc & more. I demanded that it be towed to the leasing dealer in Glendale CA, Pacific BMW. They put it together perfectly, took 2 months for parts to arrive, blah blah. Car looks and drives as if never hit, however be mindful that the muddy or greasy mitts may mark up the upholstery. That was a separate project, used K2R, worked well. The key is to ask the dealer if they have ever repaired a bumped i3. My dealer had and I had great service and frequent communication during the process. Also, after it was repaired I had it transported to my new home/ assignment in Milwaukee. What a great car it is.

Had a front end collision during the snow storm here in February.

Called my BMW guy and he advised not all repair shops can fix the i3 due to its plastic/carbon construction.

He recommended No 1 Collision.

http://www.no1collision.com/en/index.php

Did a great job, and good customer service.

Repairing CFRP is possible, but takes specific training and materials. Not all places have invested in the requirements to do a successful job. If the frame is damaged, there are some very specific places it can be cut, and then the new pieces bonded in place. Done right, the alignment and strength will be as good as new (although maybe a slight bit heavier). Done wrong, it's a major safety hazard.

Back