Adaptive Cruise kicked off

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jims5543

I did a little trip this past weekend in my 2014 REX and used the CC along a 2 lane road with slight curves, with a 35mph speed limit for the trip up without incident. It even maintained distance to a slow moving pickup that eventually turned off. The road is narrow with trees on both sides and mailboxes along the southbound side. I was traveling north. The system worked flawlessly.

The return trip heading south on the same road, now at night, was eventful. The CC kicked off with a warning that it disengaged. I took over for a mile or so then reset it, 2 miles later same result.

I left it off at that point.

Was it confused by oncoming headlights? The mailboxes close to the side of the road? Did it think I was drowsy?

Anyone else have this happen?

2014 REX Electronaut here. Mine spontaneously stops working occasionally. I've been unable to figure out why. Once turn off the car, and start it again, it seems to work fine.

This happens more when there are curvy roads, trees or large buildings, and very large changes in lighting from sunny to deep shade. ALso, if there's mist or other obstructions on the windshield near above the camera lens, it will sometimes shut down, or not even start. FWIW, when this happens, you can switch it to 'normal' cruise control mode. It really doesn't like staring into the sun when at a low angle. I suppose that on a curvy road, the headlights of oncoming cars could be a low enough angle to prevent the camera from being able to resolve objects, and therefore shutoff. A radar system would use more power, but also be more capable...it's a tradeoff that went with power use, I think.

Shadows over the road. Driving into the sun. Also, cresting an overpass.

The unplanned, turning off leads to being a little more alert.

Bob Wilson

I tried using ACC last night in stop-go traffic in the rain for the first time. It worked for a while, but then at one point left a *huge* distance between me and the car I (it?) was following. Then a bit later ACC kicked off. My conclusion from this is that it's a daytime, good weather feature.

I love the adaptive cruise control

Use it daily.

You can use the change speed switch to turn off the adaptive part of the cruise control.
It will then act like a normal cruise control.

This technology will get better with time.

Yes, it is not perfect.
But is a great help normally.

bwilson4web said:
Shadows over the road. Driving into the sun. Also, cresting an overpass.

The unplanned, turning off leads to being a little more alert.

Bob Wilson
Yep. High contrast situations like driving from sun into a dense shade, low contrast situations like fog, following black vehicles- ACC is not reliable at all.
I recently purchased a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, which has a radar based ACC. It is rock solid. I can drive directly into the sun and it will soldier on.

so many thanks for all the information i got here. i was wondering lots of thinks about my i3 and found lots of answers here. however i am still wondering if i may come back with questions in case i would have some for you as i'm a new guy on the forum? thanks again!

Back