Battery pre-heat

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lecram

I read this at the Dutch website:
Hoe stel ik accuvoorverwarming in?
De accuvoorverwarming is een onderdeel van de BMW i3 waar u zelf geen invloed op uit kunt oefenen. De optie beschermt de accu van de BMW i3 door bij stilstand de temperatuur van de accu in de gaten te houden. Indien de temperatuur onder het gewenste niveau komt te liggen door een (te) koude buitentemperatuur, dan zal de auto automatisch de accuverwarming inschakelen. Als de auto aangesloten is op een laadpaal, zal de benodigde energie via het laadpunt gebruikt worden. Maar als de auto niet aangesloten is op een oplaadpunt zal de benodigde energie uit de accu zelf gehaald worden. De accuverwarming is dus niet door u zelf in te stellen.

With Google translate as I am a bit lazy now:
How do I set battery for heating?
The battery heating is part of the BMW i3 which you can't influence. The option protects the battery from the BMW i3 by keeping an eye on. Standstill at the temperature of the battery If the temperature is to be a (too) cold outside, below the desired level, then the car will automatically turn the heater battery. If the car is connected to a charging station, the energy will be used from the loading point. But if the car is not connected to a charging point the energy will be extracted from the battery itself. The battery heater is not you set yourself.

I thought that the battery heater will be turned on when the CC is turned on, but it adjusts itself appearently.

I think that in Spain at least battery heating only works if you have ordered also seat heating option.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are discussing, but pre-conditioning of the battery is standard on all i3. Without it, I do not think BMW would have given a 8 years warrenty on the battery.

Hi,

Today i was at the BMW dealer in amsterdam. They told me that the battery pre-heat does not work untill you turn on the heated seats! I am very confused about this. How does anyone turn on the heated seats when you are not in the car for instance? And what is the use of pre-heating if it works this way.
Let's say i don't believe it.
It seems the BMW dealers have poor info on all the functions of the i3.

Anyway, i was there for having a look at the pre-heat and the charging behaviour. And there was found that indeed there are stored faults in the system relating to the charging and high voltage battery.
So a new workshop visit is planned for next week for further and deeper investigation...

LMOR said:
Maybe I misunderstand what you are discussing, but pre-conditioning of the battery is standard on all i3. Without it, I do not think BMW would have given a 8 years warrenty on the battery.
That's possibly different per country. In Netherlands, it's part of the seat heater option.

Simon said:
And there was found that indeed there are stored faults in the system relating to the charging and high voltage battery.
So a new workshop visit is planned for next week for further and deeper investigation...

Hi, I hope that it will soon be fixed.

As for battery pre-heat, there is indeed a lot of confusion about what it covers, what is standard and what is not.

In spite of all the googling, user's manual research and actual usage on my own real car, I must confess that I'm still not sure.

Here are my 2 cents :
- every i3 has a standard cooling/heating system for the battery
BMW web site said:
A specially-developed heating and air conditioning system ensures as little temperature fluctuations as possible which significantly increases the service life of the high-voltage battery.
I understand that this means that the cells are protected against wide temperature variations on a permanent basis. This equipment is standard and allows BMW to offer the 8 year/100.000km warranty.

- in addition to this, according to the price lists in various countries, you can have a supplementary pre-heating system for your battery that is called "Pre-heating of HV battery with Active air flap control". Official BMW code for this option is ZHV. In Belgium, it is included in option 494 (heated seats) and in option 4T9 (heat pump, only in the case of BEV version). In the UK, as far as I can see it is included in the "Winter package" (ZWT). In Belgium and in the UK, it is not possible to have this "Pre-heating of HV battery with Active air flap control" as a stand-alone option. What it does it not clear ...
BMW official option list said:
Pre-heating of HV battery with Active air flap control
Pre-heating the HV battery ensures that the battery is operating at the optimal temperature which further improves the range and performance of
the battery. Additional active control of air flaps to assist in achieving optimum operating temperature.
This may suggest that the option ZHV optimizes and reinforces the standard temperature control system.

I fail to see the logic or the value added but ... hey ... that's what is written in BMW official docs :)

Does anyone know if Canadian models will include BOTH the heat pump (for non-Rex, of course)
AND the pre-heat of the batt with active air flap control?

In the Canadian price list (released 2/13/14), it mentions the following as standard features:
- 4T9 Aux. cabin heating system
- 494 Heated front seats

No specific mention of either heat pump or pre-heat is made.

Thanks

Yes, but what about pre-heating of the batt with active air flap control, what is the option or feature code for this?

Surge said:
Yes, but what about pre-heating of the batt with active air flap control, what is the option or feature code for this?

On my order sheet for UK, as mentioned above I believe, there is a Winter Package ZWT. This includes 494 Seat Heating front and ZHV HV Battery preparation.

I think they can be ordered independently and I believe ZHV is the air flap control.

4T9 Auxiliary cabin heating system is the heat pump.

Rest seem to be standard in UK except the 7RS Comfort Package which maybe comes as standard with the 7KZ Suite interior world.

Thanks.

But hmm, I don't see ZHV on the Canadian features and pricing list… It Must be there, one would think, given our climate?

Possibly is made standard? And therefore not broken out as an option? we Brits have to pay extra for it as we are 'clearly' in a temperate climate according to our German colleagues. Brrrrrr!

You'd think the UK would get it as standard!

Not sure what is going on in Canada - we have 4T9 & 494 as standard (cabin aux. heating/heat pump [w/o REx], and heated front seats). But I don't see anything about ZHV...

ZWT {edit} includes ZHV and is a marketing package that in the UK includes the two options that you have as standard.......we pay for them extra...as is usual with BMW they offer some bundled options of popular choices that if we buy things together we get slightly better pricing.

Your good luck is that you are obviously in a cold country and have that as standard so there is no need for a 'package' to get you to pay extra for it.......Norway has same?

There will be something else that we have as standard and that you have to pay for.....sun roof? ;-) No only joking. Joke. Joke. There has been enough pain about that without me adding more. Sorry. :oops:

Gonville said:
ZHV is a marketing package that in the UK includes the two options that you have as standard

That is not correct.

The package you are referring to is called ZWT (Winter package).
ZHV is a different animal.
See this other split-out thread : http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=895&p=6652#p6652
You'll surely find some misconceptions there too but ... hey ... we're all humans.

Back