Brake wear, also brake drying feature

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

While watching the recently posted video review by The Scotsman newspaper, I heard the presenter mention something called the Brake Drying Feature that activates in the rain. Does anyone have any information about this? It sounded like a system to drag the brakes to dry them after immersion, but I am only guessing.

This got me to think about overall brake wear given that the Regen is so strong. Our car has not arrived yet, but from our test drive I can easily envision a scenario where the vehicle could go days without a brake application. Especially if used in a suburban environment during off-peak hours.... One benefit is a lot less brake dust to clean off those spoke wheels; one downside could be brake squeal if the rotors get rusty.

Periodically the brakes gently apply themselves to verify they a) work b) clean up the disks. Its quite disconcerting when you hear it the first time. Doesn't actually slow you down - I think theres a section in the manual to describe the operation.

A search of the online manual didn't turn up anything, but a Google indicates that at one time the system was activated by manual use of high speed wipers and not a rain sensor as I thought. I wonder how they do it now?

However that happens, it will not know if the car sat undriven in your driveway through a heavy rain. Use them maybe at least once a trip to clean the disks off is my regimen. Pitted brake disks can be problematic long-term. clean them off once in awhile!

Back