Auto Park Brake

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

Many new cars come with a option to enable Auto Park break, when in Park.
Is this software configuration as a Hack an option in i3 ?

I'm not familiar with Auto Park Brake, so I'm guessing that the parking brake is automatically set when the car is parked. I am not aware of any coding that would activate Auto Park Brake on an i3.

However, the i3 already has Auto Park, so when the car shuts down, transmission park is automatically engaged. This means that an i3 driver could enter a parking space and do only a single thing inside the car: set the parking brake. No need to press the Start/Stop button or press the Park button. Exiting and locking the car would do what pressing the Start/Stop button and the Park button would do.

OK . Good Idea. But please take care. accidentally pressing the accelerator, before you exit the car ( when car is in START/ RUN ) will disengage the Parking break , and the car can be in motion.

EVMan said:
OK . Good Idea. But please take care. accidentally pressing the accelerator, before you exit the car ( when car is in START/ RUN ) will disengage the Parking break , and the car can be in motion.
That's true while the driver has the seat belt on...it won't release it automatically when it is off.

My other car has an auto hold function when stopped, so that the car can't creep. The i3 has a function where it won't go the opposite direction from the transmission (ie. it won't roll back when uphill in drive), but it can roll because of gravity if the road isn't level the opposite way. I had a loaner M5 while they applied the latest recall software to my i3 a few weeks ago, and it not only had that button, it remembered it between driving sessions (mine always defaults to that being off). It would be nice if the i3 had the same thing. In some parts of the world, it is considered bad form to sit at a light with your foot on the brakes...you are expected to use the parking brake.

FWIW, I've not really noticed, but it seems like my i3 sometimes auto engages the parking brake when turned off. It could be I just turn it on and don't realize it, but I don't think so. I rarely put it in park, relying on it doing that itself, so that may be why it turns the parking brake on. I guess I need to pay attention a bit more!

Back