ewaynek

Installing after market backup camera

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:28 pm

We have had our 2014 BEV for 3 weeks and are really enjoying this marvelous piece of technology!

The one option we wanted but do not have is a backup camera. So, as I have down with previous vehicles, I am installing one. After searching here and on Google I have been unable to find any detailed wiring diagrams, which is not surprising for a new vehicle.

I am hoping that someone can help me identify the wire for the backup lamp from this photo:
http://imgur.com/IkXtpYS

jadnashuanh

Re: Installing after market backup camera

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Do you have a multimeter?

FWIW, on many BMW vehicles, there isn't a simple direct connection to a specific thing like a lamp. IOW, they tend to multiplex some of the signals, and put a small circuit board at the point of use. This means that they can supply power to more things at once, and use smaller ones to signal the board to tell it what to do and where to apply that actual power. This is one reason why there is a delay between your actual pressing a button and the function occurring...there are computers in between and logic boards. The backup light circuit may not be able to handle any more current than the anticipated bulb, if you can find where that is actually switched.

Be interesting to hear how you make out. I know it was not very simple dealing with my other BMW on a similar endeavor.

Keep in mind what functions are available in the rear panel:
- brake light
- (often, on a BMW, a separate line for the center brake light)
- running light (may be common with the license plate lamps)
- turn signal
- fog light (not utilized in the USA, but can be by swapping the switch and coding no additional wiring required)
- system ground
- backup lamps

That's more lines than shown in that plug, which is why I stated there may not be a dedicated line for just the backup lamps.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

i3atl

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Someone on the Facebook group added a backup camera last year, but I'm unable to find the link to his post/details.

BimmerTech is considering making a retrofit kit using the factory components as well - if you're interested please email them at info@bimmer-tech.net - they've made similar kits for other BMW models.

ewaynek

Fri May 01, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks for the info, jadnashuanh. That explains why I did not find 12 volts on any of the wires.

i3atl, I sent info@bimmer-tech.net an email. Thanks!

driveforward

Thu May 07, 2015 3:57 am

I would also be interested in adding the camera (and front sensors to get park assist) as the vehicle I'll be collecting ASAP doesn't have this either.

Would be interested to hear what response you get from BimmerTech and whether it needs more people to mail them about it!

ewaynek

Thu May 07, 2015 6:58 am

Bimmertech quoted $899 shipped.

driveforward

Sat May 09, 2015 2:20 am

ewaynek wrote:Bimmertech quoted $899 shipped.

Great - thanks for the info: Good to know it's possible and have a price! Now I just need the car...!

jacqueusi

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Curious, has anyone made any progress on the backup camera retrofit? Hoping my i3 arrives in 10 days, would like to add the camera option.

:D

spitfire

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:16 pm

jacqueusi wrote:Curious, has anyone made any progress on the backup camera retrofit? Hoping my i3 arrives in 10 days, would like to add the camera option.

:D

I'm also interested to know if anyone has installed a solution and how well it works. Any updates?

ewaynek

Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:03 am

I was not able to get the camera to turn on when placed in reverse so I installed a switch to turn it on whenever it is needed.

As it turns out the camera is rarely needed.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”