i3PL

Re: How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:33 pm

amcdonal86 wrote:Are the BEV models more reliable then? Perhaps I need to just lose the training wheels and go full BEV.

Also, it is possible to find 2014 i3s with the BMW CPO warranty, but it appears that only tacks on 1 year to the warranty, and there seems to be a lot of exclusions. Would it even cover issues with the REX? Or "drivetrain issues"?

I think I read every forum and article about "drive train" problem with BMW i3 - this problem occurs in both versions REX and BEV.
I bought mine 2014 i3 with BMW CPO warranty and they gave me 2 year extra.

So far I use this warranty to:
- fix the problem with opening the tank cover
- replace the AC expansion valve ~$480
- replace damper cover
- replace steering rods
- replace engine mounts
- fix the drive train problem ~$5k

All of this repair was made from CPO warranty.
So far I paid only for new brake pads with sensors ~$310

In the BMW intranet my warranty is described as "Repair Inclusive - 4 years / 200,000 km" so probably first owner bought this option and they was able to transfer this option to me as a new owner.

Milam
Gold Member

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I just took my 2017 REX in for an idiot light.

My guess, the REX unit is low on oil.
I could have fixed that, with the help of another member.
But
The unit is less than three months old.
I did not want to take any chances.
Plus, they loaned me a 320i.
Will wash the car.
And update the software.

Will let you know the outcome.

Milam
Gold Member

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 am

My error code turned out to be a Fuel Surge Valve.

Everything is fixed.
Everything is perfect again.

Thank you

/s/ Tom Milam

vbodsworth

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 am

I have had the drivetrain error message about 6 times in total. If it happens when the REX is on. the REX is shut off. But sometimes it happens when the REX is not on, but then it is not possible to turn the REX on.
But if you stop and turn the car off, so far the error has always cleared.
I did take it in to a BMW dealer when a recall for another issue was requested, and they said the had to change a wiring loom.
But it has happened subsequently.
I am concerned that one day it will not clear and I will be stranded without sufficient power and no REX, so I am going to take it back to BMW again. I am coming up for my 3 year warrantee finish in about 6 months and at the evry least I would like to get some guarantee that they will extend this if I report the fault.

Sparky

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 pm

I've had one catastrophic failure and a couple that have cleared. I've made the decision, with the aid of my service advisor last week, to not keep the car past the warranty. Put a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3, due late next year. I'll compare the Tesla to the Bolt and trade in the i3. When it was in for service last week, I took a look at the used prices on the lot. Cars like mine were selling for $15-20k. Can you imagine what their trade in values were!

Benagami

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 pm

2014 i3 REx Electronaut. I bought it used four months ago. Got drive train error after an 88 mile ride in 22 degree F weather after using the range extender. The error did not occur right away. I charged my car, and when it was done charging I moved it. The moment I hit the start button I got the drive train error. Many of these errors are being reported on Facebook's i3 page. My car goes out of warranty in four months. I'd sell the car but in Massachusetts the lemon law is such that I have to divulge these problems, so I guess I'm screwed. How can BMW do this to people?!

jadnashuanh

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Has the car had all of the service campaigns applied to it? I don't have a REx. From some of the reading, it appears that the issue may be moisture. A car that sat on the lot may be more prone to it than one that is driven regularly AND has the REx activated which generates some heat, and can dry things out. I haven't heard much feedback in awhile from people on this issue, so my first action would be to discuss it with the dealership and get this addressed. In general, if a car is exhibiting a specific problem before the warranty expires, the manufacturer is obligated to fix it. Some have found this is a one-time issue, some have it happen more often. The computer stores the fault codes, and a generic OBD-II reader doesn't read the BMW specific codes...you need one designed with those built in which, obviously, the dealership has. FWIW, you can buy one yourself and in the scheme of things, it isn't a huge cost (around $150-200, depending on where you buy it). Foxwell makes one, ECS Tuning sells that as a house brand as Schwaben.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Milam
Gold Member

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Thankfully, none.

2017 i3 REX

jlangham

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Well, you can now add me to this list! Mine is a BEV, so not exclusive to the REX. I have found some interesting things since getting this error many times in the past week or so.

First time it happened, I drove in the rain. When I got home, still had about 55% battery so didn't feel like charging. Didn't drive the next day and left it off the charger. Got in the car the next day, had the Drivetrain error - along with the Parking brake error, and a bunch of others. Car wouldn't respond to anything I did. Hooked up the OUC (110v Occasional Use Charger) and the car wouldn't charge. BMW Connected app showed car in "Error" state where it normally said "Charging." Left the charge cable on, got on here and checked this forum. Saw that some had their car dragged to the dealer with mixed to terrible results. Some said that it had to do with the 12v battery, so went out, clicked the remote LOCK - it locked! Hit UNLOCK - and it unlocked and started charging! The BMW Connected app switched from Error to Charging. Finished charging and car ran okay.

Next time, again while car was parked in garage with some charge left, but this time, I didn't leave it overnight and still got the error. Again, plugged in the OUC and car wouldn't charge. Clicked LOCK/UNLOCK on the remote and the car started charging!

Happened again this morning. At first, it didn't work immediately. Left the charger connected for about an hour and tried the LOCK/UNLOCK and the car started charging again!

I'm going to take this info to the dealer and see what they think. Maybe this will help others with this error. EXCEPT for you guys who unfortunately had this happen while driving!

alohart

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:21 pm

jlangham wrote:Some said that it had to do with the 12v battery, so went out, clicked the remote LOCK - it locked! Hit UNLOCK - and it unlocked and started charging!

Did you check the 12 V battery?

The symptoms could be explained by a weak 12 V battery. Whenever an i3 is being actively charged (as opposed to just plugging in an EVSE with a fully-charged battery pack), the 12 V battery is being charged also. So a while after each charging session, your 12 V battery's voltage is high enough for the car to function correctly. However, after sitting for a while, the 12 V battery discharges to the point where errors are set and thinks don't work correctly.

Of course, the problem could be something totally different…
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”