eamdude

Re: How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:59 pm

After three months in service and a new battery pack I got the i3 (BEV) back. I asked about the cause of the breakdown. The service guy here in Stockholm said he didnt know and claimed that BMW Germany could not answer either. No excuses and no explanations were given to either the fault or the long service time.

After three days the "Drivetrain malfunction but you can still drive the car" notice is back.

I dont know if this car will work the full lease time (doubt it, another year to go) but one thing is sure. Never-ever BMW again, the support of the BMW i3 here in Sweden is non-existant.

Electric cars are so much simpler that startups can make it (Tesla) and cars is fast becoming software-based. If companies like Apple goes ahead with its plans I think oldtimers like BMW is smoked, I am prepared to pay and I have had it with a car industry that mostly reminds me of something out of a Charles Dickens novel.

eamdude wrote:My i3 has now been in service for almost 10 weeks. I had the drive-train warning with "you can continue driving" - and in the end left it at the dealers to have them check everything out. I got the car back after they upgraded some software but I didnt even get home, after only a few km's there was a "thunk" in the back of the car and it halted immediately with some nasty "drive train" error messages on the screen. After this moment the car was alive for about 17 minutes and then it was completely dead, no warning lights and I could not open trunk - not anything.

It was shipped back to the dealer and since then they've had it - BMW Assist here in Sweden gave me a slightly damaged Skoda as a loaner (I'm especially not that keen on not being able to close the inner-roof console that always hangs down, its sharp edges and something hitting the car from the side would not be fun).

They claim to have BMW Germany involved but they seem to replace a single part at a time, before ordering the next, so progress is really-really slow. There is also talk of some software bug.

The i3 is a very-very nice car as long as it works - but the lack of support makes it a bad deal here in Sweden.

justanotherdrunk

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:36 pm

joined the drivetrain malfunction group today

can no longer say the car has been trouble free after 13 months/ 10k miles

dealer has it/ no loaners available

noticed the app info

:?:
2014 i3 BEV
Solar Orange/ Mega

i3StormTrooper

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:02 pm

I think the first image is warning you at you have a Samsung :oops:

The app is due for some decent updating that's for sure.

Glad to know it reminds you on the phone it's broke. Since my fix in November I haven't had the issue again. Knock on eucalyptus wood :P

WoodlandHills

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 am

Ours comes and goes...... Given my confidence in BMW we are avoiding them as much as possible: until it actually stops running we'll keep it away from the "service dep't". I am using the word service in the agricultural sense, as in: "The bull serviced the cow......"

Thank god, it's a lease!
Clipper Creek HCS-40P 32a EVSE
2014 REx Arravani Grey Giga all options
2008 Infiniti EX35
2008 smart ForTwo Cabriolet
2000 F-250 Powerstroke
2006 Westfield eleven
1984 Laverda RGS-1000

justanotherdrunk

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:19 am

now early the next day i can see using the phone app that the car has been worked on by the dealer

the app error message is gone and the charge % is increasing

and its been driven 0.2 miles since last charge :lol:

kinda cool

im easily amused
2014 i3 BEV
Solar Orange/ Mega

i3StormTrooper

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33 am

Agree I've done that before when it went in the shop, one thing that would be nice though is the app would alert you if the car is being moved, that way you can track their movements … ha ha ha ha ;)

salty

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:56 pm

i3StormTrooper wrote:Agree I've done that before when it went in the shop, one thing that would be nice though is the app would alert you if the car is being moved, that way you can track their movements … ha ha ha ha ;)

You could install a tracker in the car. https://www.bk-gts.com/

jadnashuanh

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:36 am

I do not know how often it gets updated, but accessing the map page on the app has shown me where my car was during service. I've been able to tell when it was in the service bay verses parked outside fairly easily.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

justanotherdrunk

Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 pm

car returned from dealer the next day and cleaner than they received it :)

dealer performed:

campaign 221001 >

replace engine mount screw program and code control unit

campaign 725901 >

replace front passenger airbag

DCFC switch contactor stuck >

reset fault code memory and retest twice with no problem found

apparently the car didnt like the chargepoint corporate office new dc fast charger and nearly fried the contactor switch

the dealer is not really sure

lessons learned and note to self >

store personal profile car settings on usb stick before next software upgrade - everything gets set to default

radio presets
door lock options
lighting options
max speed warning
eco pro+ options
gps enable
etc

:?
2014 i3 BEV
Solar Orange/ Mega

Lecram

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:02 pm

I had a drive train malfunction last weekend. After a stop before a traffic light (the SOC was 5%, the rex was on), the rex turned off at standstill, which is normal. When the light went green, I accelerated and the rex stayed off, which is not normal. A warning appeared on my dash that there was a drive train error. At the next traffic light, I turned off the car and on again, and the rex did his job as normal until today.

Today, the i3 was checked by the i-agent. The problem is the generator of the rex. This need to be replaced.
Costs: 3,100 euros ($3,400)!! Luckily, I have an extended warranty, but it is a lot of money. The car is 2.5 yr old, 60,000 km (37,500 mls) and I have used the rex for less than 10,000 kms (6,000 mls).
There are two other people I know who have the same problem.
Any other Rex owner who had the generator replaced?

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”