Thebollox

Re: How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:09 pm

:( came on twice in a day after 3 days in my new 94rex.
Took it straight to my local dealer and the warning sign did not appear then or for the next 3 weeks.
Im up to 1000 miles of very entertaining driving.
Not sure the New York winter will prove much fun.

GI3L

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Lecram wrote:I had a drive train malfunction last weekend. After a stop before a traffic light (the SOC was 5%, the rex was on), the rex turned off at standstill, which is normal. When the light went green, I accelerated and the rex stayed off, which is not normal. A warning appeared on my dash that there was a drive train error. At the next traffic light, I turned off the car and on again, and the rex did his job as normal until today.

Today, the i3 was checked by the i-agent. The problem is the generator of the rex. This need to be replaced.
Costs: 3,100 euros ($3,400)!! Luckily, I have an extended warranty, but it is a lot of money. The car is 2.5 yr old, 60,000 km (37,500 mls) and I have used the rex for less than 10,000 kms (6,000 mls).
There are two other people I know who have the same problem.
Any other Rex owner who had the generator replaced?

this is a manafacture problem
with condensation and bad design! even out of warranty this would be a warranty case IMO.

is this moisture and rex shutdown a 2014 i3 problem or is this also present in the 2015 and up models?

asokadas

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 am

i had this problem two months after buying suddenly i could not start drive train issue comes after several attempts i could engage gears. after a kilometer or so suddenly the error massage came on and engine stopped completely ( In the middle of heave traffic) 24 hotline did not answer.after several attempts of switching off and switching on I could manage to get to the service center. now it is being looked at and they seem to think i had not charged it every day to maximum ( i was charging every other-day you see) I was not told that one should charge everyday and you must charge it full every-time i am thoroughly disgusted with the assistance although i liked the car at least the first 2000 km
asoka

alohart

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 am

asokadas wrote:now it is being looked at and they seem to think i had not charged it every day to maximum ( i was charging every other-day you see) I was not told that one should charge everyday and you must charge it full every-time

I rarely charge to full and because I drive so little, I sometimes don't charge at all for more than a week. Yet I have never had a drive train error.

Apparently, charging to full does allow the charge levels of all the battery pack's cells to equalize, but this cell balancing shouldn't have to occur daily or even weekly, especially when the battery cells are so new.

So it's difficult for me to understand the advice that you received.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

jadnashuanh

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:19 am

IMHO, it doesn't hurt to charge the thing daily, or leave it on the EVSE. But, the only time you could hurt the battery pack is if it was low, cold out, and you didn't recharge it. In normal, temperate weather, you do not need to charge it daily. I just find it handy to always have it full when I leave.

Assuming the information is correct in the i3 electronic book, available for free, recharging 10x from 90% puts the same wear on the battery pack as recharging it once from 0%. The i3 is not your typical cellphone battery type or charging circuit. And, unlike most devices, the car literally completely disconnects the acv inputs once it's happy. It may turn it back on a few times to balance the cells, but once fully charged and happy, it may not turn the EVSE back on for a week or more to top off. There's some hysteresis in the system of, I think, at least a couple percentage points, and the standby losses are quite small, assuming everything is working properly.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

MoreliaViridis

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:39 pm

My engine light came on and the drivetrain malfunction, still ok to drive today, June 28, 2017. It's a 2015 with 22,000 miles. I've had the car for about a month, used, certified from the BMW dealer. It was a trade in purchased originally from the same dealer I bought it from.

I proceeded to look on line. After a couple hours of reading about the same warning condition from other owners across the planet which apparently have attempted solutions ranging from doing nothing to a month at the dealer and 30,000 dollars in parts swapped out to produce the similar result of the warning going away for some amount of time to typically coming back on..... I honestly don't believe the real solution is known.

I drove to work where it sat for the 2 hours while I read on line about the condition. I then turned the car on, but didn't drive. It now only showed the engine light on and the drivetrain warning gone all systems OK. I proceeded to call the BMW dealer to inquire to see if they've discovered a given solution. The response was it could be many things, then a big list of things which I've read about already in which the cars leave with the warning off then go back on. After the list of things mentioned by the service person, he said they leave with the waring off. I figured OK, that seems very much like the world wide attempts on the same problem with results to then later have the drivetrain warning come back on at some point again. I didn't say that to them, but politely said I'll wait for now. I went out to my car again and decided to drive the car. After I moved the car, shut it off then back on again the engine light was off and all warnings were gone.

It's not humid here with our dew point temperature being around 35F at the time of malfunction, though the car would have experienced a wide range in temperature through a 24 hour period, night time low in the garage about 90F after experiencing street surface temperatures easily over 140F. That relative humidity range would have been between about 3% and 14%.

Milam
Gold Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm

I am confused.

Why did you not want to take your car in for service/repair?

Milam
Gold Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 pm

I have noticed something.

People who use only lower case usernames, tend to be very critical of the i3.
Is there a connection between their usernames and attitudes?

Milam
Gold Member

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Simple fix for 80% of the problems.
Leave your cars on the chargers, when not being used.
Lithium Batteries are much more robust than NiCads.

MoreliaViridis

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:15 am

Milam wrote:I am confused.

Why did you not want to take your car in for service/repair?

Because at the point of service being performed you've included new variables and you're putting faith in an individual which you don't know in being able to properly diagnose and repair while inviting assorted other problems due to disassemblies and errors. You're rolling the dice. Just read the 10 pages of this thread. Some of the people ended up with 10s of thousands of dollars of parts on their cars while loosing months of use with the same result as others which did nothing. The ideas of what's been performed at service over the planet are so vast and invasive I just wouldn't want that process to be initiated on my car. You'll potentially end up with a car in for service all the time.

Not to complain, but as an example I bought a used "certified" i3. They put on new tires. Good. One tire had 47 lbs of air, another 32 lbs of air another 29 lbs of air and another 36. I corrected the air to factory specs.

My BMW dealer is super awesome, friendly and I love the car, but I'm just not going to need help on one little error message that went away in a couple hours and hasn't returned. The car itself has figured out nothing is wrong and proceeded to operate as normal. I'll observe and attempt to duplicate the conditions which occurred before the error message.

No drivetrain warning again yet.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”